Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bowel cancer

(7 Posts)
MrsWOLF1 Fri 21-Nov-14 23:25:14

Both my dad (1996) and my mum (2014) died from bowel cancer is it hereditary ?

RaspberryRuffle Sat 22-Nov-14 00:07:02

flowers sorry for your loss.
Bowel cancer can be hereditary though not necessarily.

RaspberryRuffle Sat 22-Nov-14 00:14:23

Bowel cancer can be hereditary, but is not always. You could have a look on NHSBCSP the NHS bowel cancer screening programme, or contact one of the cancer or cancer research charities.
Genetic testing is available for some forms of bowel cancer.
If you have any symptoms do get checked out, if you're wondering about the possibility of having a bowel cancer gene it may be possible to have some testing though bear in mind they can only give 'probabilities'. Some of my relatives have a bowel cancer gene and have regular screening (colonoscopy) to detect any changes.
flowers sorry about your parents.

MrsWOLF1 Sat 22-Nov-14 14:52:30

Thankyou

Pud2 Sat 22-Nov-14 18:09:29

Both my father and brother have had bowel cancer (which they survived) and, as a result, I have a colonoscopy every few years. It's a bit of a faff but worth it for peace of mind. It may be worth asking your GP if you could be screened?

LIZS Sat 22-Nov-14 18:15:22

So sorry for your loss. dm has survived this twice and her cousin (and both breast cancer too) but not until well into their 70s. tbh it seems to have become more common as life expectancy increases. There may well be a hereditary element to it, and you could be tested for some forms, but I'm not sure worrying about this helps. Treatment advances are made all the time and survival rates are improving. It is still unusual , but sadly not unknown, in under 50s.

merlehaggard Sat 22-Nov-14 19:28:21

My 60 year old mum died of bowel cancer 18 years ago. When my sister went to the drs, about something unrelated, she asked if there was a chance it was hereditary. The doctor replied that the vast majority wasn't, and of the small percentage that was, it was very hereditary and if she had had that, the hospital would no doubt have called us in for tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now