Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

today at my smear test...

(8 Posts)
mrsleomcgary Fri 21-Nov-14 20:23:05

The nurse commented that my cervix looked quite red. She said it wasn't necessarily anything to worry about but that she would be noting it on my file.

I try not to google medical stuff but it has been playing on my mind,anyone ever had this before? Not had any vigorous sex in the last few days and no abnormal pains or bloating and no history of abnormal smears. My period is due in 7-10 days if that make any difference.

divingoffthebalcony Fri 21-Nov-14 20:36:57

Did she not suggest what it could be? Maybe something like cervical erosion, which is really common and harmless?

mrsleomcgary Fri 21-Nov-14 20:41:10

no just that it was probably nothing to worry about. it was just as I was putting my jackit on about to walk out the door she mentioned it,otherwise I probably would have asked some more questions.

rabbitstew Sat 22-Nov-14 17:41:46

It could be a sign of an infection, or if in a specific spot, a cervical erosion/ectropion (not an erosion at all, but cells normally found on the inside of the cervical canal growing out onto the surface of the cervix as well and nothing to worry about, just something that happens with some people). If an infection, they'll probably notice something in the cells collected at your smear (ie they'll see that they are inflamed and might possibly be able to identify the cause of the inflammation) and report back. It could, eg, be a mild case of thrush, so no need to panic and think it might be something more serious, just wait and see what the smear test result says, unless of course you develop other symptoms, like increased discharge, smell or discomfort.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Sat 22-Nov-14 17:45:52

A nurse has said this to me before and said to the surrounding medical students that it can just be a sign that i'm on the pill (I was)

rabbitstew Sat 22-Nov-14 17:52:41

Cervical ectropion is certainly more common in women on the combined pill.

mrsleomcgary Sat 22-Nov-14 23:24:50

thank you everyone,i've looked up cervical errosion and bleeding between periods/massivly increased discharge seems to be a big indicator of that which i'm not having so i'm not convinced that what it is,though of course im not an expert (and neither is google)

I'm sure it's nothing but will update if I hear anything.

rabbitstew Sun 23-Nov-14 11:58:16

Plenty of people have a cervical erosion without realising, because they don't have noticeable symptoms. It's only if they are a problem that you have any need to know about them (ie if they do bleed after sex, or cause copious amounts of discharge).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now