Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Varicose veins - talk to me about getting them sorted!

(14 Posts)
Ziggyzoom Fri 21-Nov-14 19:28:44

I've had them for years. They are really very bad. I had a DVT 6 years ago after the birth of my DD2. I have now been diagnosed with thrombophlebitis and the GP mentioned getting the veins 'done' before she sent me to hospital to check I didn't have another DVT.

So, if you have had yours done, what method did you choose, what did it entail and how did it turn out?

MissLurkalot Fri 21-Nov-14 19:33:55

I had them removed surgically about 4/5 years ago. Procedure was fine, easier and less painful than I thought.
I began having thread veins instead, dark purple thin marks in one spot... And I can feel them returning slowly.. No discomfort or anything, just a tad bumpy. I'm not worried about it though as they're higher up. My worse bit was on the left of my knee. They're still gone, just a few appeared higher up. Would recommend it.

Ziggyzoom Fri 21-Nov-14 19:39:08

I'm not so concerned about appearance. My legs are not my best feature, so I wouldn't be showing hp them off anyway grin. The GP just suggested getting them removed as they may be prone to infection/ulcers as I get older sad.

The hospital doctor said laser treatment was the better option, but as I asked him more questions I got the impression he didn't have a great depth of knowledge!

Holdthepage Fri 21-Nov-14 19:44:47

I had mine done surgically although the laser option wasn't available at the time. I have never regretted having them done & would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ziggyzoom Fri 21-Nov-14 19:46:55

Thank you both. What was the recovery time after the OP?

trainersandaches Fri 21-Nov-14 20:06:10

I had radiofrequency ablation and it was AMAZING. Walked round the rest of the day, few days on painkillers and I was back to running and cycling within a week or so.

The veins just re absorb - still a bit bumpy (done in the summer) but no pain at all since!

Ziggyzoom Fri 21-Nov-14 20:08:16

trainers is that available on the NHS?

LuckyCharms Fri 21-Nov-14 20:18:14

My mum had them surgically removed, but they came back just as bad. She wishes she'd never bothered.

Ziggyzoom Fri 21-Nov-14 20:23:32

I asked the GP about that, because that was one reason why I had put it off. She said they will - she called them "collaterals" I think. But she said it is the big gnarly ones like I currently have that need to go as they can cause complications.

I guess the lasering option might mean that repeated treatments are more feasible?

nestee Fri 21-Nov-14 20:35:26

I had mine done surgically and I was a bit shocked by how painful it was and took a good 2 weeks before a could walk down the street normally. I was (eventually) pleased to have them done as they were really painful. They do seem to be slowly coming back though..

trainersandaches Fri 21-Nov-14 20:49:00

Ziggy yes mine was done on the NHS. I couldn't get my doctor to approve so one of my friends suggested I try to get onto a clinical trial.

I did and needed a referral from my doctor, then when I went to ask they said it was actually bad enough to have it done on the NHS.

So in the end it worked out.

HermioneWeasley Fri 21-Nov-14 20:52:16

Lazer treatment is supposed to be excellent

Ziggyzoom Fri 21-Nov-14 21:00:12

I'm hoping someone will come along and say they had laser treatment - their legs are now akin to a supermodel's, they were back at work that afternoon, they can now run marathons , it is free on the NHS, no issues with 'collaterals', oh and no hairs grow back!

<hopeful>

Ziggyzoom Sat 22-Nov-14 18:25:12

Perhaps I was being a bit optimistic! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now