Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian cyst

(30 Posts)
Shoegal0305 Fri 21-Nov-14 17:55:37

So I went for a scan yesterday, been having lower abdo and back pain for a few weeks, irregular bleeding for a few months.

Sonographer said I had a cyst on my ovary, about 3.5cm and whikst normally they go away by themselves, mine looked like a 'cyst within a cyst' and 'unlikely' to go away by itself?

All my blood tests have come back normal, no further action, my smear was normal and my other ovary, uterus and uterus lining all looked fine. Sonographer said to make an apt with my GP (myself) and she would put a note on my scan to be referred to gynae.

Now I have SEVERE health anxiety regarding having a general anaesthetic ....... Don't know where it's come from as never had one but literally since yesterday ive been getting myself into such a panic ive been sick and I can't stop shaking!!!

I KNOW I'm jumping the gun as haven't even been back to doctor yet!!! Anyone got some calming words of wisdom? Help me put this into perspective!!!! I'm a single parent with no family support. hmm

pinkfrocks Fri 21-Nov-14 20:13:00

For a start, I'd not take what a sonographer said as gospel. They are not drs, let alone gynaes. They are technicians unless they are qualified radiologists.
I had a cyst the same size as yours and it was monitored for 2 years every 4 months (privately.) It was checked by a consultant radiologist and a consultant gynae who both had to confer about what the scan showed. So all I am saying is don't jump the gun with your anxiety!

It's more likely to be benign and need nothing more- if anything- than draining if it grows, or removing if it looks dodgy.But that is way down the line- deal with it if and when you have to- which is now now!

pinkfrocks Fri 21-Nov-14 20:13:36

not now.

Shoegal0305 Fri 21-Nov-14 23:06:22

Thank you Pink frocks xx anyone else had anything similar?

Shoegal0305 Sat 22-Nov-14 05:11:15

Anyone?? I need some hand holding l wink

maiacam Sat 22-Nov-14 10:10:52

Hi I had a wretched cyst at this time last year it was 7cm and I had the worry of Ovarian cancer in the family. I had 3 months of watching it hoping it would go away it didn't. I had the op in the end I removed the ovary and both tubes as there is evidence that removing tubes protects against ovarian cancer in the future i still have one ovary as i didnt want to go on hrt.

To be honest even though I hadnt had a GA before that was the best part of the whole process it was great to get some sleep after the whole ordeal! You just go out so quickly and wake up and its all over waiting for the results afterwards for a week was more stress but it turned out to be a chocolate cyst related to undiagnosed endometriosis.

If you want to know anymore let me know ovarian cysts are very common you just dont realise until you have one.

Anyway I bad health anxiety and am very cowardly but the op was fine xx

southwest1 Sat 22-Nov-14 13:28:04

I had one but by the time it was found it was 25cms and weighed 10lbs! I'd had lots of niggly symptoms for months but just ignored them as nothing much. It was only when I woke up one day in agony that I went to A&E and it was found, given the size they could feel it, the scan just confirmed it.

Slowdownsally Sat 22-Nov-14 13:36:46

I'm going to see my gp next week as I am concerned I might have something like this.

My abdomen is swollen when I ovulate, one side is more swollen than the other and I'm having extremely painful heavy periods.

I'm a lone parent too, OP so I know where you're coming from with your concerns, but I really want whatever is causing my issue fixed before it becomes more severe and worrying for my health.

Shoegal0305 Sat 22-Nov-14 16:14:33

Southwest shockshockat the size of that! Slowdown it's really scary isn't it? My irregular bleeding has now stopped (good sign??) and pain is REALLY minimal to the point if I sit and think about it, I can feel it if I concentrate lol otherwise no I go about my day as normal! I think my issues are a) I'm terrified of having a GA (for an op I don't even know I need!!) and b) what the sonographer said about it unlikely to go away by itself! Xx

PacificDogwood Sat 22-Nov-14 16:20:33

Before ever ovulation every woman has a 'cyst' (or 2 = twins if fertilised) which 'pops' to release a mature egg.
Sometimes they don't pop and then show up on scans.

It is most likely that you will need to be rescanned in a few weeks' time and it may well be gone.

I know health anxiety is horrible when you've just been told you've 'got something', but you do need to try and reign your thoughts in.
A GA is not anywhere near on the cards just now with the information that you have.

Easy to say, hard to do, but you do need to try and take it one day/one hour at a time.

I hope you get the reassurance you need v soon thanks

Shoegal0305 Sat 22-Nov-14 16:44:05

Thankyou Pacific that's exactly what I need to hear as its what my logical sensible side is telling me but the scared illogical side is taking over lol xx

PacificDogwood Sat 22-Nov-14 16:51:51

Tell your scared illogical side to STFU and that it's not helping you just now wink

Shoegal0305 Sat 22-Nov-14 16:53:29

Haha Pacific I wish it was that easy cc

Shoegal0305 Sat 22-Nov-14 16:53:54

Cc? I meant xx

PacificDogwood Sat 22-Nov-14 17:00:30

I know, I do know…

But - the only person on this entire planet who has any power over your thoughts is YOU.
It can be a learnt process, but you can learn to reign them in.

Depending on how bad your health anxiety is, have you ever had any CBT for it? It's really good to manage these kinds of anxieties.

You'll be fine, whatever happens x.

Shoegal0305 Sat 22-Nov-14 17:31:11

I think I need a good slap!! You won't believe this it im a health professional myself!!! Are we the worst?! Lol xx

Shoegal0305 Sat 22-Nov-14 17:32:14

I've spent a small amount of time in theatre for my training so s LITTLE bit of knowledge is dreadful!!! Xx

PacificDogwood Sat 22-Nov-14 17:39:40

Too right! grin

Shoegal0305 Sat 22-Nov-14 17:41:23

I spend my life calming people down and yet when it's me.......? X

Shoegal0305 Mon 24-Nov-14 08:19:40

So my period came today. About normal time give or take a few days? Not sure if this is a good or bad thing?

deeray Mon 24-Nov-14 08:25:27

They often go away on their own. I had one that wouldn't go away so had a small op with keyhole surgery to remove it. The op was absolutely fine and it was also my first ga. The recovery time is just a few days. Instantly I realised that my heavy periods and the pain I'd been having wasn't normal as it vanished once the cyst was gone.

Monathevampire1 Mon 24-Nov-14 08:27:34

My ovarian cysts and I have had a long relationship. I currently have two 6cm ones on my left ovary. My gynae consultant has them scanned every six months it's no big deal. Try not to worry, listen to the consultant x

Shoegal0305 Mon 24-Nov-14 08:36:23

ThAnks both. I'm not functioning right now I'm petrified of EVERYTHING.

Shoegal0305 Mon 24-Nov-14 11:51:30

Been back to doc..... Diagnosed a bilocular cyst .......any advice??

Shoegal0305 Mon 24-Nov-14 15:20:19

Anyone???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now