Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Could this be a stomach ulcer

(6 Posts)
jennymac Tue 18-Nov-14 14:04:15

A couple of months ago I took some anti-inflammatories for a sore arm which had been prescribed by the doctor last year (I had a few left). When I took them last year, I had no problems, but this time I had terrible stomach pains even though I made sure to take them with food and had to stop after a couple of days. Since then, I have been having pains like hunger pains, even when I have just eaten and when I am feeling particularly stressed, they are worse. I know I should make a GP appointment and I will if I don't feel better soon, but does it sound like an ulcer?

MiddletonPink Tue 18-Nov-14 14:28:43

Maybe get checked for H pylori?
I've had it and my symptoms were that of an ulcer. Upper gastric pain, made worse when hungry. A kind of gnawing pain.

PetiteRaleuse Tue 18-Nov-14 14:36:07

It could be and I wouldn't leave it too long to be seen tbh. I got ulcers in my tummy from anti inflammatories and it got quite nasty. Worth getting it checked out and treated if that is what it is.

jennymac Tue 18-Nov-14 14:44:30

Thanks. If you have an ulcer, can they cure it or do you just have to take medicine regularly to keep it under control?

PetiteRaleuse Tue 18-Nov-14 17:17:03

They will try and treat it with medecine at first. I think most clear up with that.

PetiteRaleuse Tue 18-Nov-14 20:10:40

They might also test if you have h pylori. It's a breath test - nothing scary.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: