Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Grumbling gallbladder?

(9 Posts)
areyoureallysure Mon 17-Nov-14 14:01:03

Is it possible to have a grumbling gallbladder?

I have pressure under my ribs on the right hand side which is uncomfortable unless I'm sitting upright. The best way I can describe it is like when you are PG and the baby inserts a foot just under your ribcage - not painful but it can be very uncomfortable.

Now, I know I'm not PG so I'm wondering whether gallbladders (as it is in that area) can grumble?

Or, if they can't, are there any glands there which could be swollen and sore? I had tonsillitis last week although the worst side was on the other side... the glands in my neck are getting less sore and swollen every day but they're not done yet so it is conceivable. IF there is a gland there that is...

Gremlingirl Mon 17-Nov-14 14:30:33

Watching with interest as I have exactly the same symptoms! Also most definitely not pregnant.

areyoureallysure Mon 17-Nov-14 18:09:38

Just us then Gremlin!

I've done some Web research so I am now fully qualified to diagnose myself wink

It said that it could be gallbladder related or liver related. So I'm going to try a very low fat diet for a week (if I last that long) to see if that helps... feel free to join me!

chockbic Mon 17-Nov-14 18:11:30

I have this as well. So far I don't know why, no gallstones or liver problems on scan, except for raised liver function tests.

AvonCallingBarksdale Tue 18-Nov-14 14:33:18

This was the first symptom of a dodgy gallbladder for me. Over time, the pain got a lot worse and I ended up having my Gallbladder and 54 stones removed.
Not sure if that helps or not confused

lobsterkiller Tue 18-Nov-14 18:31:06

Or look up low functioning gallbladder its GBD but without the stones/sludge.

lotsofcheese Tue 18-Nov-14 19:30:55

I've recently been diagnosed with gallstones & am awaiting surgery, following a couple of episodes of severe pain. It was confirmed by abnormal liver tests, ultrasound & MRI-type scan.

I definitely had "grumblings" about 18 months ago. I can only describe it as similar to the feeling of trapped wind, but not relieved by anti-acids/Gaviscon. It started just after I'd had DD. Apparently raised progesterone levels in pregnancy reduce gallbladder emptying, so stones are more likely to form.

There have never been triggers for me; the low fat diet is a myth - unless your symptoms are triggered by eating fatty foods.

areyoureallysure Tue 18-Nov-14 23:28:24

Avon it does kind of help as that is what I assumed it was... have you had any negative symptoms since the op?

AvonCallingBarksdale Wed 19-Nov-14 11:23:50

Hi, areyoureallysure I have not had any negative symptoms following my OP. I had it done keyhole and was in and out in one day, couldn't drive or pick up DS for quite a while afterwards, which was tricky. But sooooo amazing to be pain free, and I had really, really suffered beforehand. I would say that I need to be careful not to have too much rich food now - which is no bad thing, of course, just need to be aware around Christmas time, for example. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now