Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Light therapy for SAD

(6 Posts)
cakedup Sun 16-Nov-14 11:38:53

I'm pretty sure I have SAD at the moment. I have no problem getting up in the morning - never really have done but my symptoms are:

Unusual fatigue
Craving sleep and food all the time
Feeling low, no enthusiasm, little motivation

So I've been looking into getting a Lumie alarm clock or a light box, wondered if anyone had experience of either and if it's helped?

Also, and I'm not sure if this is an obvious question, but does extra sleep help? Time is tight as it is but wonder if I should make this a priority and try to get to bed a bit earlier.

RedRose27 Sun 16-Nov-14 11:48:22

Hi. I have a Lumie alarm clock and swear by it. I'm not sure if I ever suffered with SAD but just used to really struggle with energy in the winter. But I did struggle with mornings. Even if I got a lot of sleep it didn't really help. But I did find exercise gave me more energy and regulated my appetite. I did also buy a light box but I found it too bright! Weird I know and a waste of £100 as I only used it twice

mumof4teens Sun 16-Nov-14 11:49:08

I bought one of these a few years ago but cannot comment on its success as I wasn't consistent enough using it.
I have certainly felt better over the last few winters which I put down to taking regular vitamin D

cakedup Sun 16-Nov-14 11:59:53

I exercise every weekday morning, so even more annoying that I feel so sluggish. Not even Berocca is helping, although I've never tried Vit D.

The light box is meant to help with PMT as well which would be a massive bonus.

Lushlush Mon 17-Nov-14 12:46:23

I had one it worked well but it raised my bp which is already an issue. So I had to stop using it.

cakedup Mon 17-Nov-14 20:13:47

Interesting Lush. I have quite low blood pressure so don't think that will be an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now