Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Excessive weeing and accidents

(9 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Sat 15-Nov-14 21:45:05

Hi I feel so embarrassed posting this here but not going to NC for it.

Anyway in past few months I keep wanting to urinate a lot and have accidents.... I consequently keep a change of tights, knickers etc at work.

I did have thrush in summer got treated but wonder if it's totally gone.

I also have an underactive thyroid.

I feel it's too trivial to bother the doctor with but I suppose I'd better go. No way do I want to wear Tena Lady though.

So any ideas why this is happening especially the accidents.

I'm 43 no DC. Thanks!

Thymeout Sat 15-Nov-14 22:22:12

Do go and get it checked out. You might have an ovarian cyst which is pressing on your bladder.

I'd resigned myself to stress incontinence - much older than you - but when I had my cyst removed, it completely cleared up.

MarthaCostello Sun 16-Nov-14 02:10:11

Not trivial at all. I have opposite problem, a reluctant bladder, and my GP has referred me to have it checked out.

Do you do pelvic floor exercises? If not, they may help, and even if they don't they are important for everyone smile

I learnt my method from gussiegrips on here, she's fab. 10, 10, 3. Pull up and hold for ten seconds (like trying to pull a tampon up inside you apparently), then ten quick squeezes (same movement but just pull up and then release), and then imagine it's a lift, pull up to the first floor, then to the second, and then to the third, then go back down to second, to first, and release.

When you pull up and let go you should feel a definite movement in the region. Another book (Tupler technique) described the pulling up as being like trying to pick up a penny with your lips. Anyway, do three sets of these each day, and if it is related to any weakness then it will probably improve smile

Pelvic floor weakness isn't just reserved for women with children, although it's more common.

Another reason may be a persistent UTI, so definitely worth seeing the GP. You could try some cystitis sachets to see if that helps.

I vaguely remember caffeine being mentioned as a trigger, so you could try avoiding that to see if it helps.

There's a long thread in the Exercise section about weeing whilst running. It was a while back now, but has some useful information, that's where I came across gussiegrips as whilst I have opposite problem, the causes can be similar!

Do you get an urge to wee and you can't hold it in, or does it happen when you cough, sneeze etc.? If it's the urge thing, try breathing out when you feel the urge, relax as much as you can. It's hard to make yourself do it, as you'll probably tense up and hold your breath, but holding your breath puts extra pressure on the pelvic floor. I was given the advice by my physio for pelvic floor related nerve pain, as I get spasms that I need to breathe through, but might be worth a try for you too.

I hope you can get an appointment ASAP and that this is easily sorted out flowers

ELR Sun 16-Nov-14 08:14:31

I have an underactive thyroide (hashimotos) and since increasing my levo I need to go to the loo loads more especially at night maybe 2/3 times. Have you increased your meds? I have always needed to wee a lot during the day and usually once every night but it's got much worse. I'm going to ask my gp about it when I go in a few weeks. Another sign of frequent urination is problems with your kidneys.
Sorry I couldn't be much help!

merlehaggard Sun 16-Nov-14 08:23:11

You shouldn't be embarrassed. It is a medical issue and one you can't help. You do need to go to the doctor though. It isn't trivial and needs sorting. Good luck. x

SuperFlyHigh Mon 17-Nov-14 16:18:26

Thanks all for your help!

I'm off to see GP this week so will ask them what to do.

ELR - I'm on levothyroxine and it's got worse since I increased the dose but on their leaflet nope not a side effect! Blasted thyroid! we can talk about effects then can't we?

At least (I bloody hope so!) I think I have my thyroid levels controlled now so hopefully can cease/decrease the number of blood tests. Thank god I'm not petrified of needles/blood etc...

SuperFlyHigh Mon 17-Nov-14 16:20:05

Also, the reason I posted here (and didn't NC) was in case others had similar problem... I'm damned if I should be dependent on tena lady in case I don't have to be!!!

and yeah I was embarrassed but thanks so much everyone... we shouldn't be ashamed of stuff like this.

ELR Mon 17-Nov-14 20:50:48

Superfly hope it goes well at gp come back and up date when you've been.

pinkfrocks Mon 17-Nov-14 22:07:24

You could have overactive bladder- there are drugs to treat this and bladder training regimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now