Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ruptured aortic aneurism repair

(16 Posts)
thereinmadnesslies Sat 15-Nov-14 20:38:34

MIL had an aortic aneurism repair a few years ago. She's 89. Last year it ruptured and she survived emergency surgery. Tonight she's back in hospital because the aneurism is leaking again. She's got back pain, vomiting and is generally distressed. It's taken 24hrs to convince her local hospital that there is a problem, she's currently being blue lighted to the nearest specialist hospital.

It's not good is it? I'm googling and the stats seem to be suggesting no more than a 20% survival rate, so it's pretty amazing she made it last time.

Has anyone experienced this? What are the possible outcomes? And if she doesn't make it, will it be quick? DH is away and right now isn't rushing back (BIL is with MIL) but I I wonder if I need to push DH as he's 4hrs away from the London hospital she's headed to.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer x

Arriettyborrower Sat 15-Nov-14 20:39:39

Has she had a CT conforming it is leaking?

Arriettyborrower Sat 15-Nov-14 20:39:53

Sorry - confirming!

thereinmadnesslies Sat 15-Nov-14 20:46:12

DH said she's had a scan - I don't know what sort sorry. The local hospital admitted her on Friday morning, did obs then discharged her this morning, then she was admitted back into hospital this afternoon. I'm wondering if it means the leak is small/slow, is that a good thing?

I'm getting all the information third hand via DH who is currently in a meeting

Arriettyborrower Sat 15-Nov-14 20:51:27

Presumably she is being moved to a specialist hospital as a leak has been confirmed AND they are hoping to surgically repair it?
It's hard to say what will happen but I would be getting your DH to get there if it is truly leaking. Things can happen very quickly especially as she has been symptomatic for a while.
As you have read there is a low survival rate, it is a big operation also and her age is against her.
I hope things work out ok, I would imagine tonight will be critical.

thereinmadnesslies Sat 15-Nov-14 20:55:54

Thanks Arrietty (and I love your name grin)

DH is saying he will wait and go down after the operation. They are planning surgery tonight. She's been transferred to St Georges in london. My fear is that there might not be an 'after' because from googling it seems like there is a very really chance that she will die on the operating table - is that accurate? But DH is approx 4 hrs away so I guess he can't get there before she goes into theatre. Aargh.

Arriettyborrower Sat 15-Nov-14 20:58:31

Cross posts!
It's hard to say what it means, for some people they can be symptomatic for hours/days then just suddenly deteriorate and die.
It is often very sudden - the drastic deterioration then death - any leak will be treated as an absolute emergency (once it's confirmed) and plans will be made to either keep the patient comfortable or to go to theatre - sometimes transferring to a specialist centre as your MIL is.
It isn't something you just sit on and wait to see what happens so things should happen quickly now - but as I said she may deteriorate very rapidly so I would strongly advise your DH to get there.

Arriettyborrower Sat 15-Nov-14 21:01:11

Crossed again!

Yes, most people die in theatre, it's a complex and risking operation. As you've googled the survival rate with a leaking aneurysm is really low 10-20%.
St George's is a very specialist centre - is it a thoracic aneurysm??

thereinmadnesslies Sat 15-Nov-14 21:04:58

DH's family is really undemonstrative about stuff like this. MIL would be horrified at the thought of DH leaving what he's doing. I've texted DH again to encourage him to go but apparently MIL and BIL have both told him to stay. I don't want him to regret his choices but I can't make him head to the hospital.

Thanks for helping Arrietty x

thereinmadnesslies Sat 15-Nov-14 21:26:30

Just spoken to DH. The leak is between the aorta and the original stent repair in the artery, so she is in theatre now having a further stent repair under local anaesthetic. She was moved to theatre v quickly on arrival, so DH couldn't have got there anyway. The operation risks seem less with a general - I hope, although I guess all the post procedure risks are significant still.

Arriettyborrower Sat 15-Nov-14 22:11:57

You can have two types of aneurysm in the aorta - abdominal and thoracic, depending on where you are/which hospital you've come from abdominal ones are usually managed locally but thoracic ones go out to a specialist centre. She really is in the best place, a GA would bring it's own risks so hopefully her risk is reduced.
George's must have been optimistic with what they saw on her scan or they would never have agreed to take her - this bodes well (as well as can be) am hoping all goes well, please come back and let me know!

Arriettyborrower Sat 15-Nov-14 22:13:06

Oh and no probs re helping - sorry haven't been able to say much really. Love your name too grin

onehellofaride Sat 15-Nov-14 22:57:49

I don't have any advice on ruptures but I had an operation for aortic aneurysm last year (which arose as a result of another heart problem). I hope all goes well but honestly I would be pushing DH to go. If DMIL pulls through then that's fantastic but if not it will be too late. He needs to be there. Are you close OP?

thereinmadnesslies Sun 16-Nov-14 03:45:13

Thanks onehell. DH is now on his way back with the aim of getting to the hospital for 7am. We live approx 90mins from the hospital. I can't go to the hospital because there's no one I can ask to care for the DC (8&5) in the middle of the night. I'm not sure I would help anyway, because BIL would try to suppress his emotional responses if I was there because he doesn't like showing when he is upset. BIL is very close to MIL - they live in the same town and see each other most days so this will hit him very hard.

The short procedure under local turned into a longer procedure under general anaesthetic. They found two leaks, one either side of the original stent. I think the local hospital had underplayed the extent of her condition to BIL. MILs heart stopped during the op but she was revived and she is currently pretty poorly. It's not sounding good hmm - at 89 she's pretty old to go through this.

onehellofaride Sun 16-Nov-14 10:42:55

Hope DMIL is doing as well as can be expected this morning

Arriettyborrower Mon 17-Nov-14 11:58:51

Just caught up with this - sorry to hear this, hope mil is doing better x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now