Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Addison's Disease

(3 Posts)
katiebrusby Sat 15-Nov-14 02:26:53

Hi wondering if there is anyone else that has Addison's disease. Ive been diagnosed 7 years and have never had any major problems until lately, have been hospitalised 3 times in 6 weeks but the doctors dont seem to be able to tell me why.

I'm due to go back to work next week paart time for a few weeks but im trying to decide if it may be the best option for me to stay part time as i have beeen struggling so much with full time and my energy levels, most days i struggle to stay awake for more than 6 hours even with my medication

OneHandFlapping Sat 15-Nov-14 20:17:04

I have Addison's, and have had for 20 years now.

Does your tiredness go away if you increase your medication? Do you have any other symptoms of low cortisol eg loss of appetite, nausea, brain fog, muscle cramps, joint aches?

Are you taking hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone? How much do you take each day?

Has anything changed in your life - increased activity levels or increased stress levels?

Have you been seen by an endocrinologist, or just by your GP?

I think you need to insist that they get to the bottom of this. Either something like an infection is increasing your need for cortisol, or something else is going on such as thyroid problems.

katiebrusby Sun 07-Dec-14 07:41:12

Hi sorry I've only jst seen this reply!

My symptoms go away short term as in like an hour or so but it feels like I'm exhausted but being forced to stay awake so to speak!

Ive been in terrible pain in my joints, hips especially and lower back and tummy, I have days where I don't eat and days where I pig out, I take anti sickness meds twice a day at the minute.

I'm on 0.1mg fludrocortisone, and I'm supposed to be on 20mg hydro but I can't get it any lower than 25mg without feeling seriously ill.

Iv seen my Endo but he's not concerned because all my blood work is fine. My GP is worried as I am obviously still on anti sickness and am alternating between codeine and tramadol for pain as well as paracetamol.

Ive pretty much stopped sleeping during the night ill drop off in the early hours when I can tell my cortisol is at its lowest but now I'm back at work I'm up at6am so I'm barely getting any sleep either.

My husbands really worried about me cos its getting to a point where literally doing anything is wearing me out, I'm managing a couple of hours at a time then having to rest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now