Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endoscopy - with or without sedation?

(15 Posts)
NannyR Sat 15-Nov-14 00:03:10

I have an appointment to have an endoscopy and I have the option of no sedation but a freezing throat spray or having it done under sedation.

Ideally, I would like to do it without as it means I could drive myself to and from the appointment, but from what I've read, it's not a particularly pleasant procedure and much easier under sedation.

Does anyone have any experience of endoscopy with/without sedation? Is it really that bad without?

Thanks

mawinter Sat 15-Nov-14 09:51:40

I had to have this done 3 times due to being a GERD sufferer. The first time was without sedation and it ended in me vomiting and accidentally punching someone. As a result the procedure had to be canceled. The second time I was asleep, as well as the third and if I had to do it over again I would love to be knocked out again!

Bicnod Sat 15-Nov-14 09:57:21

I had it without (followed immediately by a colonoscopy, also without) as I was terrified of being sedated and it wasn't pleasant but it was do-able.

You just have to force yourself to breathe through your nose, remind yourself you CAN breathe (the throat spray makes it feel like you can't, but you can, through your nose), keep very very calm and focus your mind completely on something (mine was a light in the room).

Holding the nurse's hand very tightly also helped...

olympicsrock Sat 15-Nov-14 09:58:16

I am a doctor and have done endoscopies in the past. I have also had one myself. Quite unpleasant with spray on your throat lots of gagging. Absolutely fine with sedation. I would not dream of having one without sedation . Even if you plan just to have local anaesthetic spray you may not tolerate it and need sedation so would have to organise a driver to take you home . You should not plan to drive yourself. Hope all goes well for you. X

owlonabike Sat 15-Nov-14 10:01:06

Definitely with. The fact that the throat spray made me gag should have been enough of a warning. The actual rummaging around in the stomach was quite uncomfortable, very weird and mildly interesting, but getting the thing down was horrible. A colleague told me afterwards that she has had the procedure with and without sedation, and would always
recommend with.

Bicnod Sat 15-Nov-14 10:06:29

Should have said, although I had it done without sedation, I was still driven to and from the appointment. I wouldn't have felt up to driving myself home... It's pretty invasive and makes you feel woozy even without the sedation.

Kundry Sat 15-Nov-14 10:09:10

Don't drive yourself even without sedation. They feel you up with air and you will feel v painful and sorry for yourself for the rest of the day - I had ambitious plans for the rest of my day which were ALL cancelled in favour of hiding under the duvet.

NannyR Sat 15-Nov-14 11:24:38

Thank you. It seems like sedation will be a good idea then.

tiggy2610 Sat 15-Nov-14 11:31:50

I think I'm an anomaly as I've had two endoscopies in the past 18 months, both without sedation and have coped absolutely fine. It's not a pleasant experience but once it's done it's done and DH took me straight out for a treat from my fave restaurant. I found the spray worked fine (although the 'cherry' flavouring left something to be desired...) and didn't have a sore throat or anything after wards.

My first endoscopy was worse as the doctor was an absolute arse and didn't even acknowledge I existed, he spent the whole procedure talking to the nurse about Christmas shopping. My second was a breeze, doctor was lovely and the nurse held my hand the whole time and kept me constantly updated on what was going on and how well I was doing.

If I had to have another I'd do it without sedation in a heartbeat.
Whatever you decide I hope it goes well!

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Sat 15-Nov-14 11:35:53

I had one a few years ago and opted for no sedation but found i couldnt stop gagging so needed to be sedated anyway.

if I had another id opt for sedation

Sedation all the way!

chockbic Sat 15-Nov-14 14:42:21

I've been referred for one of these and have asked for sedation.

We can be endoscopy twins grin

Kundry Sat 15-Nov-14 15:02:53

On the day I went I was going to have sedation but none of the other women in the waiting room (who had all had them before) were bothering, so I went for it. It really isn't that bad - the air afterwards is the worst bit and you get that either way.

gobbin Sat 15-Nov-14 19:47:28

I've had it done with just the throat spray and it was bearable, quick and out the door much faster than those recovering from sedation. Out of a roomful of 10 people only 1 had sedation.

The best tip I was given was "Remember to keep breathing". With all the gubbins in your mouth it's easy to forget to do this! It's invasive in that there's a lot going on, it makes you gag when swallowing initially but it didn't hurt. I watched the screen (for the five minutes it took).

I've had tubes and probes just about everywhere. An enoscopy is low down on my 'worst procedures' list...I'll reserve that for the horror that is the Naso-Gastric tube ��

NoNoNoooooo Sat 15-Nov-14 19:59:35

Definitely with sedation and throat spray as the sedation takes a minute to start. I remember gagging and thinking I couldn't do it, then the next thing I remember I was being offered a cuppa! Lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now