Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Short hospital stay (3-5 nights) what to take in my hospital bag?

(15 Posts)
cheshcat Fri 14-Nov-14 15:05:19

Any help would be great as I'm getting stressed out about it

hugoagogo Fri 14-Nov-14 15:35:02

Pjs and a thin dressing gown at least two or three pairs as it can get sweaty in hospital.

I find that deeply unflattering xl men's tshirts are best for easy access to your arms and tum for injections, blood tests and blood pressure checks whilst keeping you well covered up.

I wear soft crop tops underneath as I'm not happy going completely braless and these shouldn't get in the way of any tests and are comfy to sleep in.

Something to keep you occupied when you are recovering/waiting-books, audiobooks are especially good when you aren't feeling your best. Don't rely on tv-in most hospitals you have to pay and they are rubbish, my local hospital doesn't have wifi either shock so load your phone up with games and music etc before you go. (don't forget the charger)

Obviously a wash bag with hairbrush, shampoo, showergel, makeup toothpaste and brush and deoderant.

Nice things to eat and drink are good too especially squash because they like you to drink and water soon gets very dull and the tea/coffee might not be up to costa standard.

SauvignonBlanche Fri 14-Nov-14 15:44:03

I second the crop tops for bras, I wear leggings and T shirts during the day, I can't stand all this lying around in night clothes nonsense.

Can you find out a bit more about the facilities before you go in? The free Wifi kept me sane when I was in for a month over the summer.

If you're fussy (like me) take your own tea bags in, a good book and some fruit.

Victrix Fri 14-Nov-14 15:46:56

YY to all these suggestions.

I find all the air con really drying so I recommend lip balm, hand cream and face moisturiser.

nappiesandnaptimes Fri 14-Nov-14 15:52:30

Definitely don't forget your phone charger!!

Matildathecat Fri 14-Nov-14 16:08:17

Sports top water bottle in case you need to drink lying down. iPod in case it's noisy at night ditto earplugs and eye mask. Hospitals are stupidly noisy and light at night. I take my own pillows. Hospital pillows are vile.

All above plus baby/facial wipes and dry shampoo if you have mad hair like me that needs daily washing. And hair bands or whatever to keep hair tidyish.

Books of short stories if concentration difficult. Or trashy mags.

Chocs or sweeties to trick all the staff into being nice to you grin

Good luck!

Partydilemmas Fri 14-Nov-14 16:15:11

If there is no free wifi ask your carrier re charges. Sometimes they can up your data limit so you can tether your iPad, for eg.

MiscellaneousAssortment Fri 14-Nov-14 16:21:56

Ear plugs & eye mask
- essential to grab sleep between snores, fluorescent lights, tv and visitor noise, and early ward rounds

Headphones & downloaded music/ radio/ tv/ films
- also good for cutting out noise if ear plugs fail! Might not be wireless or mob phone reception so download entertainment. Also consider if you feel v poorly you may not feel like watching anything, so radio or audio books are great for then

Body spray/ light refreshing fragrance
- a non hospital smell to lift spirits and make you feel human again

Wipes
- freshening up, wiping hands & face, great if sweaty and too hot

Water bottle/s to refill
- old lucozade sport bottles are great as they are non drip ones so easy to drink whilst lying down. Can also put in the bed besides you which is handy if they keep moving your trolley/ table out of reach!

Cordial
- robinsons Squashd is great as handbag sized and easy to squirt yourself when feeling weak/ wobbly. Hosp water tastes foul so I found it indespensible!

Plastic bags
- impromptu rubbish bins and also to put used underwear in etc do it doesn't get mixed in with everything else, important if you need someone to give you a hand reaching things

Spare hair bobbles
- little things can go missing easily in bed changes etc, so spare hair bobbles, ear plugs etc really good to have on hand

Slippers
- floors tend to be filthy for bare feet & v slippy for just socks

Dressing gown or long cardi
- for decency when moving around, esp if youre in the hospital gowns! loos tend to be on main corridors outside your bay so patients/ visitors/ staff will be going past. Also can double as a blanket if it gets chilly (but probably wont, too hot is more likely!)

On the subject of those hosp gowns, ask for two so you wear one open at the back as they're designed too, then put the other one on the wrong way round like a cardigan so you're covered at the back!

Towel
- can also be useful if you're hot and sweaty in bed, as hosp mattresses & pillows have plastic covers so can be quite unpleasantly sticky. I used my towel as a sheet / head rest sometimes and hosp towel for actual washing/ showering.

Pillow or cushions
- if you absolutely need more than 1 pillow to sleep well, bring a spare as wards can be v short on pillows. Especially useful if you prop yourself up with them at home eg cushion between knees when lying on side etc. make sure you bring coloured pillow cases or cushions so they don't get mixed up with hospital ones.

And lastly, all medicines that you take at home, for their records and also to take whilst in hospital if you need to.

MiscellaneousAssortment Fri 14-Nov-14 16:29:17

Oh yes and...

Dry shampoo, lip balm, phone charger with long wire, change in case you need to use the ward phone or pay for tv, yummy biscuits in case you get peckish & some savoury snacks in case a meal is in edible/ you kiss out on ordering a meal at some point. And nice tea bags, then you can order hot water and make your own drink.

Plus note pad or phone to make a note of things like drs names, medicine times, discharge advice etc.

Ps I just came out of hospital so its all v fresh in my mind! Also I went in as an emergency so didn't get to pack bags or plan it, so I slowly got people to bring in the essentials over the next few days...

Good luck

Bunbaker Fri 14-Nov-14 16:32:31

Re the phone charger. Some hospitals might not let you use it because all electrical items have to be PAT tested. I wasn't allowed to charge my phone last time DD was in hospital.

SauvignonBlanche Fri 14-Nov-14 16:35:46

Re the phone charger. Some hospitals might not let you use it

That's true, never ask permission. wink

hugoagogo Fri 14-Nov-14 16:43:35

Yup - don't ask- I also went in as an emergency recently and when I looked at the website when I came out it says not to even take your phone!

Like that was going to happen! Every single person on my ward had their phone with them.

I would have worried about my bag too and would probably have endless lists, but going in as an emergency and staying for a few days has shown me that all will still be well.

Not that will stop me writing loads of lists when I have to go back.

shouldnthavesaid Fri 14-Nov-14 17:06:12

A cup or a mug and your own tea bags, coffee etc - the hospital stuff isn't nice.

MiscellaneousAssortment Fri 14-Nov-14 19:35:28

Completely agree with Hugo, it's surprising how little you really need when it comes down to it.

In the past I've totally over packed, packed loads too many clothes, loads too many activities and loads too many foods. Oh and way too many toiletries!

The lovely ambulance person packed for me this time and as I wasn't in any state to think or even direct them around my home, it really was pot luck & their experience in doing the quick dash around a strangers flat...

But, it didn't matter as they found the absolute essentials somehow:

1. phone, charger, headphones
2. ear plugs, eye mask, pillow
3. toothbrush, toothpaste
4. fragrance, lip balm, bobble
5. knickers, long cardi

Anything else is a great extra, so don't worry too much.

574ejones Sat 15-Nov-14 16:07:23

I echo what everyone else has suggested, but also, you can never have too many tissues. And any food that you fancy when you are poorly - I went mad for jelly babies to eat after my medication. Something nicely scented, even if just handcream because some wards smell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now