Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hot flush? Poorly? Help!

(5 Posts)
Only42 Thu 13-Nov-14 22:09:27

As per my user name, I've just turned 42. No family history of early menopause or owt. But the last few days I've been having what I think can only be hot flushes, about 6 or so times a day. The feeling doesn't last more than a couple of minutes at most, but feels like a really strong blush and sense of heat from inside me (chest upwards).

It also feels a bit like when you are just about to be sick and you get that sense of heat rising, but I'm not feeling nauseous (although a little uinder the weather). My forehead gets sweaty, and then the feeling just goes and I feel normal again.

Is there anything else this could be apart from hot flushes? <<clutches at straws>>. It feels too early! My cycle has been shorter since my last child ten years ago (averaging 24 days), but aside from that i don't feel menopausal (not sure what that would feel like though!).

Should I go to the GP? Any supplements that actually work? How do I get my head around this - it feels too soon sad

pinkfrocks Thu 13-Nov-14 22:15:56

Pop over to the meno forum here?
Yes it is possibly that- but you'd be having a premature one ( average age UK is 52) so you'd need HRT until that age to protect your bones and heart.
Have a read of the Daisy Network which is an advice site for women with prem menopause.

Matildathecat Thu 13-Nov-14 22:57:17

Not an expert but the peri menopause can go on for years. I have had intermittent night sweats for years.they come in clusters then go away for a while before another lot arrive. Not all that frequently. I would advise keeping a diary and keeping an eye. Hopefully they will settle.

Of course I you suspect you are unwell see your GP.

Only42 Fri 14-Nov-14 21:28:05

Oh boo. I'm not ready for this! Why so early??

CrushedVelvet Fri 14-Nov-14 21:38:46

As Matilda says, perimenopause (the leadup to actual menopause) can go on for a good 5-10 years before your periods actually stop for good. I started hot flushes at 45 (which I also thought seemed far too early!), but at 49 my periods are still going strong so I've still not hit the actual menopause per se.

Perhaps have a look at the Menopause Matters site?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now