Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Radiofrequency ablation for varicose veins

(6 Posts)
chasingtail Thu 13-Nov-14 12:26:15

I am on the waiting list to have this procedure on NHS. Has anyone had this procedure under general anaesthetic or sedation? I am terrified and nearly passed out just having the scan!

Dread the thought of local anaesthetic and being fully aware of what is happening.

TIA ��

chasingtail Thu 13-Nov-14 20:47:18

Bump

chasingtail Sat 15-Nov-14 18:22:40

Bump anyone?

chasingtail Tue 18-Nov-14 21:48:39

Bump

dotnet Thu 20-Nov-14 15:39:31

It looks as if radiofrequency ablation is very similar to laser treatment for varicose veins (I found an internet heading where both treatments were mentioned, and when I took a look, both descriptions were similar.)

I had one leg lasered in August. It was fab. By that, I just mean I was really, really impressed. It wasn't fun, but it was very bearable. I'd had a couple of veins removed nearly twenty years earlier, the 'old' way, and the laser treatment was so, so much better. The worst bits were the pain of the laser burns - but each time it happened, it only lasted a second or two - and an unpleasant feeling when the wire or whatever it was which was fed down the vein, was pulled out again at the end of the treatment.

I don't think you'll SEE anything! I lay down and a sort of table tennis net thing was put up at chest level so I couldn't observe the gore. I also had a really nice jolly male nurse jollying me along as the procedure went on.

Honestly, if you're going to be chopped up, I think these new varicose vein treatments are probably as un-upsetting as surgery can be, really. And it's just amazing, straight afterwards, to be able to get up (your leg/s will be bandaged, though) and WALK OUT and get a cup of tea and a biscuit on the NHS. You could even walk home, if you live nearby. I got the bus!

Don't worry too much, I'm a great wimp and I found it OK. flowers

dotnet Thu 20-Nov-14 15:47:50

ps: You ask about general anaesthetic or sedation... well, I think some small sedation might be given before the work is done. You will be aware of what's going on, - but just chat like mad to the nurse who is looking after you, and the whole thing will be over fairly quickly. TRY to think of yourself as being lucky to get this work done; you'll be so pleased afterwards by the improvement in the way your leg/s look, once the bruising has finally gone; it'll be just great, honestly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now