Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lumbar nerve root block- why I am so tired?

(7 Posts)
minxthemanx Wed 12-Nov-14 12:06:41

Had this procedure yesterday for a herniated disc problem, procedure was quick and I was home soon afterwards. Slept all afternoon, had planned to go to work today, but was advised not to drive till this afternoon so stayed at home. I've been dead to the world all morning, with strange dreams. Could easily sleep all afternoon. As it was a local anaesthetic, I wasn't expecting to feel so wiped out afterwards! Anyone had similar, or got an experience? Whether it's the double whammy of local anaesthetic for numbing, then the local that's in the root block I don't know. Want to go back to work but am soooo sleepy!

OpiesOldLady Wed 12-Nov-14 12:10:59

I had this done about three years ago, and like you I slept for days afterwards. It wore me out completely. The procedure itself was for me, also very painful, but once it had been done, and I wasn't in my 'normal' pain anymore, I think I relaxed enough to sleep properly as opposed to the fractured and broken sleep I had been having.

allypally999 Wed 12-Nov-14 12:12:48

I was told a GA can take up to 6 months to get out of your system but not sure re LA

And yes, I too get the weird dreams (and hallucinations) with strong drugs. Never heard of this procedure so off to Google it and see if it would help me .. gotta love Google

minxthemanx Wed 12-Nov-14 12:16:34

Thank you. Started to think there's something wrong with me! Just can't believe how knocked out I am - and the weird dreams were horrible. All this from a 10 minute procedure. May try to take the dog out for a short walk and get some air to wake me up. Hope I'm more energetic tomorrow.

Matildathecat Wed 12-Nov-14 12:50:52

Did you have steroids injected? I guess that could account for the weird dreams. I think this is am example of different things having different effects on people. I've had a lot of spinal injections. Some have given me significant pain afterwards but I don't recall the tiredness. Were you very tense beforehand? Maybe pain or scared? If so perhaps the release of tension has affected you.

Hope it helps you anyway. Do come for company on the Back Pain thread if you feel the urge. Sciatica is allowed grin.

minxthemanx Wed 12-Nov-14 13:12:51

Yes it was mixture of steroid and local anesthetic. Plus local for numbing (ouch!)

minxthemanx Thu 13-Nov-14 18:43:02

Went back to work today, very light headed and wobbly - bit of a mistake. Spoke to physio who thinks the anaesthetic may have been opiate based, which would account for the weird dreams. Maybe I've had a bit of a reaction to it. Still incredibly tired but hey ho. Anyone who's about to have this procedure - make sure you're prepared for a day or two to recover!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now