Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Best medicine to actually stop a cough?

(10 Posts)
WhoeverYouWantMeToBe Wed 12-Nov-14 08:13:50

Got stinking cold and delightful accompanying throaty cough, which isn't productive just irritating. Are there ANY medicines or home remedies that actually work? Tried a few but after about ten minutes of blissful silence I am back to barking again. I am going back to work tomorrow and will annoy the hell out of my colleagues if nothing works.

SquirrelSwarm Wed 12-Nov-14 17:16:12

cough supressants, such as pholcodene, available OTC

somewheresomehow Wed 12-Nov-14 17:20:23

having a baby did for mine
was coughing to the point of choking went into hosp to have my DD no cough after grin

agoodbook Wed 12-Nov-14 20:58:38

spoonful of sugar - add 2-3 drops of vinegar then down in one go. Tastes weird/wonderful/vile but works !

PigletJohn Wed 12-Nov-14 21:34:56

some versions of Benylin

fairgame Wed 12-Nov-14 21:37:05

Pholcodine works a treat for me

morchoxplz Wed 12-Nov-14 22:28:17

Spoon of honey works a treat.

rockpinkpumpkin Wed 12-Nov-14 22:32:11

Vicks Chloraseptic spray. I don't know why but it works.

goodasitgets Wed 12-Nov-14 23:47:56

Night nurse (only at night!)
Not sure if it stops you coughing or just renders you unconscious but hey, it helps grin

gobbin Thu 13-Nov-14 00:06:26

White horehound tincture. I get mine from Baldwins online but other places must do it. Great for shifting a lasting cough after the main cold symptoms have gone. 10 drops in a finger of water twice a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now