Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anxiety while waiting for test results - tips?

(9 Posts)
ballsballsballs Tue 11-Nov-14 09:39:31

I had a second ultrasound for gallbladder issues and they found that my gallbladder has calcified. However, this doesn't explain the pain I've been having.

The radiographer (?title) referred me immediately for a CT scan. I've called the consultant's secretary and have been told the results will be available in a week or two.

I've been beside myself with anxiety (and I have finally stepped away from Dr Google). It took a month between first and second ultrasound: an hour between second ultrasound and CT scan. The speed has made me think the medical staff are very worried, which has made me very anxious.

Can anyone suggest ways of calming myself down?

unlucky83 Tue 11-Nov-14 12:31:20

flowers
I know this is so much easier said than done...but basically tell yourself whatever the outcome there is nothing you can do about it ...no point in worrying about something you can't change now or might never happen - you'll deal with whatever ....and the worry may well be worse than the 'problem' -if there is one.
Long history but basically I had a misdiagnosed PE and then a few months later a massive blood clot 20+ years ago, nearly died etc etc - was told I had a blood disorder then I didn't etc etc. The doctors weren't even sure what happened etc - so there was always a chance I would get another - maybe a PE? and this time it could be fatal - maybe instantly. I've lived under that cloud, that worry and fear for a long time - the sword of Damocles hanging over me - it was always there at the back of my mind, sometimes I would forget for a few weeks, other time I would be on the verge of a panic attack. I always believed it would kill me in the end. Earlier this year I got a DVT -(or maybe I didn't -old damage- another long tale) - it was nothing like as bad as imagined it would be...all that fear and worry for that?
I am not scared anymore - what happens happens - nothing I can do, nothing I can change.
The very best of luck flowers

ballsballsballs Tue 11-Nov-14 20:35:30

Thank you flowers

helzapoppin2 Fri 14-Nov-14 17:44:28

unlucky83, I just wanted to say what wise words. They've stuck with me this week, so I've come back to thank you.

unlucky83 Sat 15-Nov-14 14:35:50

helz - flowers blush
I came back to check how you are getting on Balls? Have you had your results yet? Fingers still crossed for you flowers

ballsballsballs Sat 15-Nov-14 14:48:50

Hi unlucky83 I'm still waiting for results. sad I'm also experiencing more pain and nausea than I was, which is grim. I'm a bit calmer though and saw my GP yesterday for nausea tablets.

unlucky83 Sat 15-Nov-14 18:42:40

Hopefully the tablets will work quickly ...and at least make you feel better for now and you won't have much longer to wait for your results.
The pain and nausea must make it even worse to keep calm as it will be a constant reminder...hopefully not much longer now before you know. flowers

helzapoppin2 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:49:07

I've popped back, sorry balls I didn't mean to hijack. I just want to say I'm thinking of you, and let us know how things go,when you get the results.
Crossing my fingers for you. I haven't had gall bladder issues, but I know someone who did and it can be very painful.

ballsballsballs Sun 16-Nov-14 20:37:46

Thank you helz, I hope what you're going through will be better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now