Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So, I know how to zap a verruca, how about athlete's foot?

(19 Posts)
AvonCallingBarksdale Mon 10-Nov-14 18:54:51

I have loved the apple cider vinegar remedy for verrucas, but in our house we have a different problem - recurrent athlete's foot, specifically DH. He's used the usual cream/powder, but it just keeps coming back, driving him mad. He does all the clean socks/dry shoes, but can't get rid of it, and I wondered if anyone had any surefire methods of zapping it for good? TIA.

Kundry Mon 10-Nov-14 19:45:46

Has he tried Lamisil Once?

I used to be plagued with athlete's foot - all the other creams etc are a load of rubbish, the Once stuff is the business.

AvonCallingBarksdale Mon 10-Nov-14 19:53:08

Hmm, not sure if he's tried that. Thank you, I'll pass it on. Cursed condition.

Catsmamma Mon 10-Nov-14 19:57:35

it's all about peeing in the shower.

AvonCallingBarksdale Mon 10-Nov-14 20:02:59

Eh?!

Nellymay Mon 10-Nov-14 20:07:21

Athletes foot is fungal so tea tree oil os v good as its anti fungal and antiseptic

Juliatrapp Mon 10-Nov-14 20:28:07

Try www.clevercultures.com they do a probiotic for athlete's foot. Works a treat, all natural and money back guarantee if it doesn't get rid of the fungus. If it's for kids, you can sprinkle the contents of the capsule on their food or in a drink. Just like turbo powered dried yoghurt! Here's a pic off their website. I trailed it for them. Honestly amazing results.

Myamya Mon 10-Nov-14 20:31:29

Grisol is good. Think it's one of those things you will never banish for good though.

agoodbook Mon 10-Nov-14 23:04:29

Has he tried canestan-? its not advertised for athletes foot, but it works

magimedi Mon 10-Nov-14 23:27:47

Surgical spirit - as recommended by the Royal Society of Chirophodists.

After shower/bath just dry feet &wipe over the affected area with surgical spirit on a bit of cotton wool.

I am a keen swimmer (which never helps) & have had years of athlete's foot & since I've done this have been totally free of it.

WorldWildWifeFund Mon 10-Nov-14 23:33:06

You need to get air around the affected area. I cured mine by wearing crocs as slippers (lots of little holes in them).

AvonCallingBarksdale Tue 11-Nov-14 14:39:05

Great, thank you, all. He says he's tried Lamisil, but it didn't nuke it. So, on to tea tree, Grisol, clever cultures and surgical spirit. Maybe all 4 will banish it for good!

whattodoforthebest2 Tue 11-Nov-14 14:41:25

I've heard about the peeing in the shower too - God knows why it works but I've heard it does.

ArsenicSoup Tue 11-Nov-14 14:43:24

Gentian violet is very good for athletes foot but it does dye your feet (temporarily) purple.

Kundry Tue 11-Nov-14 17:51:55

It has to be the Lamisil Once - if he had the every day for ages one, it's rubbish. The Once one has a much higher dose.

AvonCallingBarksdale Tue 11-Nov-14 18:35:17

Maybe it's something to do with the acid in the wee? Either way, not sure I want DH peeing in the shower particularly...
Off to Google Gentian Violet and I will check which Lamisil he's had. Thank you all.

somewheresomehow Wed 12-Nov-14 17:17:34

surgical spirit applied at least twice a day, stings to buggery grin a bit but does work after a few days, it dries the skin

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Wed 12-Nov-14 17:45:11

The podiatrist told me to use tea tree. It hurt like hell but cleared after ten days. Prior to this I'd had Athletes foot for twenty years. At times it was agonising.
I now use a tea tree spray every other day and it hasn't come back.

AvonCallingBarksdale Wed 12-Nov-14 18:51:50

# Who never knew his place, he said, return the rings, he knows so much about these things # Ahem, nice user name aJumpedUpPantryBoy smile

Have bought Surgical spirit and tea tree. Operation athlete's foot zap begins. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now