Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

In agony with earache!

(13 Posts)
ProfessorPickles Sun 09-Nov-14 01:46:04

It started about 4 hours ago where my ear was a bit painful and now I can barely hear out of it and can't sleep at all sad

In a lot of pain and can't keeps still and I'd consider myself as someone with a reasonably high pain threshold.

Just rang 111 for some advice as paracetamol hasn't helped with the pain and I'm worried about my hearing.
Waiting for a call back.

Feeling very fed up!!

SilentAllTheseYears Sun 09-Nov-14 01:46:51

You have sympathies, I'm awake for the same reason, blasted sinuses making my ears hurt.

ProfessorPickles Sun 09-Nov-14 01:51:46

Isn't it an awful feeling!
Any pain relief tips?
I'm desperate for it to go away! Hoping they call me in to see someone in the next few hours cause the past hour has felt like ten!

SilentAllTheseYears Sun 09-Nov-14 01:52:38

Heated pad on the ear? Just trying that myself and hoping it works.

CuttedUpPear Sun 09-Nov-14 01:59:55

I know this will sound insane but it was recommended by my GP when my DCs were small and it works well.

Finely chop an onion and pop it into a muslin or similar lightweight cloth.

Hold it against your ear - I find that lying with it under the bad ear with a hot water bottle underneath the onion poultice works.

The finer chopped, the better, as lumps will be uncomfortable.

SilentAllTheseYears Sun 09-Nov-14 02:05:52

Oh, thanks, I have some left over chopped raw onion in the fridge, I'll get some muslin cloths later and try it. Thanks.

ProfessorPickles Sun 09-Nov-14 02:06:11

I've just spoken to a nurse on the phone and he's recommended to the doctors that they see me within the next 6 hours which is good.

I wasn't sure if I was over reacting but as the symptoms have got worse over the past 4 hours he said he seems to be progressing quickly so needs to be seen!

Definitely going to try the hot towel, and even the onions as I'm willing to try anything! grin Interesting that that works though, I wonder why!

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 09-Nov-14 02:16:15

Hope you get some relief soon, earache is the worst. I had a bad infection over the summer and ended up on steroids and antibiotics for 20 days.....

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 09-Nov-14 02:17:21

If you can take ibuprofen, I would. The anti inflammatory will help with the pain.

ProfessorPickles Sun 09-Nov-14 02:18:14

Wow that's a long time is 20 days. Were you in a lot of pain over that time or was it manageable?

I keep worrying I'm being dramatic to have rang but I'm glad they seemed worried because it means I'm not being daft grin

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 09-Nov-14 02:32:52

I have narrow ear canals and swim so get a bad infection about once a year. I had a 10 day course of medication. It it didn't completely clear up so was prescribed another 10 day course, plus super strength sinus decongestants and pain killers as I had to fly on about day 17. I'm in the USA.

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 09-Nov-14 02:36:32

It's funny how I need to be at deaths door before I call a gp in the UK, but here people tell you that you shouldn't hesitate to make an appointment, no prizes for suffering etc. Hope you feel better soon, earache is really horrible.

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 09-Nov-14 02:37:49

Sorry, didn't answer your question. Not so much pain after the first day or so as I was on painkillers but very annoying to not be able to hear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now