Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Will my nipples ever recover?

(6 Posts)
Beachmum85 Sat 08-Nov-14 20:27:24

After a horrific 8-month period of bf which included constant cracked, bleeding, sore nipples, mastitis, a huge abscess and months of agony and "feeding through it" (consultant's orders) - which for the record I am so pleased I did, for DD's sake. DD is now 15MO and though I am left scarred by the abscess (physically and mentally), I am generally fit & well again 7 months on.

However, my breasts are hugely deflated which has made my nipples flat and throughout the day seem to go a little inverted in my bra. My nipples also have some scabby (dry milk or dry skin?) bits, which sometimes come off (but I don't want to pick them!) and there are some white patches on the sides of both nipples, in the creases. I assume this is all the aftermath of lactation? But it seems strange so long after bf??

Any experiences/suggestions welcome!! hmm

agoodbook Sat 08-Nov-14 21:49:49

Just a thought- you don't have thrush do you?

NCIS Sat 08-Nov-14 21:57:51

From memory, it takes at least a year after finishing breastfeeding for your breasts to go back to your post pregnancy, pre breastfeeding state. I'm no expert but i would assume that after a BF experience such as yours that process may take longer.

Beachmum85 Sun 09-Nov-14 09:27:00

agoodbook it had crossed my mind, but not sure what to look out for(?). May try GP next week.

agoodbook Sun 09-Nov-14 20:38:22

Sorry - been out all day! I was just thinking of the scabby bits (!) and wondering- they are usually white spots/ areas when in babies mouth which is why I wondered . If you have any canestan cream, it may be worth a try anyway, as it can't hurt ! Good luck anyway

LetItBeMe Thu 20-Nov-14 17:30:19

if it helps I've bf twice and my boobs have recovered to a degree. they wont ever be what they were but they arent like empty sack any more! I've been stopped about 10/11 months now. I fed for a year both times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now