Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I see my gp or is this just life?

(6 Posts)
3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sat 08-Nov-14 14:52:44

I am often very tired and aches, have some sore joints

However I can't work out if this is just because I'm a busy mum of three with a job who is on my feet a lot?

Dragonfly71 Sat 08-Nov-14 18:11:41

I have the same, 3 children and work fulltime. Not on my feet, but alot of driving. I have sciatica, neck pain, leg and arm pain too.
My GP hasn't been able to diagnose anything specific, but don't let that put you off getting checked out. My GP was very sympathetic and did tests to rule out a few things.
Hope you're having a relaxing weekend, I try to pace myself these days (and i'm only 43!)

addictedtosugar Sat 08-Nov-14 19:54:25

I suspect it will be a combination of ageand being a working Mum, but it is always worth getting things checked out with the GP.
I've found if I keep an eye on my exercise levels (more seems to give me more energy and reduce the aches - other than muscle tiredness!), fruit and veg intake / diet in general, and a couple of early nights help.

It could also be low iron ie verging on anaemia. What about taking an iron supplement or general multi vit with minerals?

Sleep and a break every now and again works wonders - so recently we went visiting friends for the weekend. They were having a party, so I spent most of the time in the kitchen cooking, but because it was kids free (the menfolk were with the kids) it was hard work, but restful.

larryphilanddave Sun 09-Nov-14 16:45:20

I think that if you feel like it's a bit more than to be expected it's always good to get it checked out.

I used to work on my feet, had a lot of personal responsibility, plus other commitments, so I was very busy and active and occupied in every way. I was very tired and aching, sore joints and muscles, and put it down to the above. Eventually I found that I was still sore first thing in the morning, or even after an hour or so of sitting. Fortunately my GP felt that despite my busy schedule it seemed unusual for me to be so sore and tired and sent me for some blood tests. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, for me medication hasn't been a complete solution however it is for a lot of people and I am certainly much better since diagnosis.

I'm not saying you have anything - it could just be being busy, and especially if it's a recent development it could be the lingering effects of a virus, for example, sometimes you can be left tired and achy weeks after any other symptoms have cleared up. But it is quite easy to run bloods for things like hypothyroidism, as well as iron, vit D and B12 levels which can also make you tired and achy.

Another thing about being busy is not just what you're physically doing, but whether or not you take the time to take care of yourself, like having a good rest every now and then, eating well, keeping hydrated and so on.

Hope you feel more energised soon!

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sun 09-Nov-14 16:48:55

Thankyou for your replies

I did buy some multivitamins ages ago so will start taking them and see if anything improves

Re age I'm only 26?

larryphilanddave Sun 09-Nov-14 17:11:25

3pigs I'm a similar age to you and was diagnosed a couple of years ago. My 'youth' was a factor in my GP sending me off for tests, he felt that despite everything going on that at my age he wouldn't expect me to be quite so sore/tired. So perhaps that will actually help, in theory your GP would take it more on the face of your symptoms (I have relatives who have been sidelined a bit due to age), and if it turns out just to be general tiredness then hopefully you'll be able to find other ways to boost how you feel, like diet or vitamins or certain exercise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now