Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How can I boost my immune system whilst sleep deprived?

(4 Posts)
sometimesyouwin Sat 08-Nov-14 05:33:13

I'm currently breastfeeding my 7mth old DS who wakes multiple times. I'm averaging about 3 or 4 hours of broken sleep every night. As a consequence I've been ill with 4 bouts of mastitis, sick bug, coughs and colds pretty much back to back for the last 4 months.
I know my immune system is taking a battering from the lack of sleep so am looking for the best ways to boost it my any other means. Does anyone have any suggestions or supplements (BF friendly) that might be worth trying? TIA

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 08-Nov-14 05:41:30

Interesting that you've had mastitis a couple of times... Have you had him
Checked for tongue tie? I only ask because mastitis can be caused by milk not being efficiently removed from the breast - and he's waking a lot at night which suggests he might not be taking big feeds. It might be worth having his feeding checked to make sure everything is as it should be.

And supplements, pregnacare do a breast feeding vitamin which is worth taking for the vitamin d alone. There's another supplement as well which I'll just google to see if it's breastfeeding friendly!

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 08-Nov-14 05:45:46

The internet seems to think it's ok to take Echinacea as long as it doesn't have goldenseal in the ingredients list.

sometimesyouwin Sat 08-Nov-14 05:56:19

Brilliant! Thank you so much. I'm going to get straight out in the morning to get some supplies. I just want to feel like I'm doing everything I can to help myself at the moment. I'm just not on form to be a good parent at the moment especially to my eldest DS who is nearly 4 (but is responsible for all the germs that get into our house!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now