Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Which blood group?

(36 Posts)
Badvoc123 Fri 07-Nov-14 20:57:28

How do you find out what blood group you are? Thanks!

DanaBarrett Fri 07-Nov-14 21:00:26

My mum had us all blood grouped at birth as she is rh-. So I've always known mine, but they check it when you give blood and also when you are pg, in case you are rh-. I don't know of any other ways, sorry!

I find it weird that I don't know my childrens blood groups!

mouselittle Fri 07-Nov-14 21:01:54

I found out when I was pregnant. I think you find out if you give blood too.

Badvoc123 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:06:28

Hmmm...I am 42 and I isn't know mine! smile

Kundry Fri 07-Nov-14 21:07:00

Basically there isn't a need to know routinely. You would never be given a blood transfusion without your blood group being checked, even in an emergency so there isn't a need to know.

If you have ever had blood taken because you were possibly going to need a transfusion eg before an operation or when pregnant to find out your rhesus status, you can ask what it was. They also check it if you donate blood and will tell you then.

It's a specific test so although you may have had blood tests done in the past, unless there was a specific reason to find out, the blood group test probably wasn't done.

Otherwise it isn't routinely tested - if you really want to know then you could have a private blood test.

Badvoc123 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:08:54

Are babies tested at birth?
Heel,prick test?

AuntieStella Fri 07-Nov-14 21:12:10

Babies are not tested at birth.

The heelprick test is for the metabolic disorder PKU.

I know my group because I am a blood donor.

Badvoc123 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:14:20

I see.
They didn't want mine sad too rubbish sad
<I have had glandular fever and that's a no no apparently>

Kundry Fri 07-Nov-14 21:15:19

As Auntie Stella says, babies are not tested at birth as you only need to know if a) you are pregnant and at risk of Rhesus disease or b) about to have or likely to have a blood transfusion.

You only test what you need to know for the medical problem you are treating at the time.

Badvoc123 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:17:00

I'm sure my mums medical card had got her blood type on.
Must dig it out and have a look.

thatsn0tmyname Fri 07-Nov-14 21:20:27

I'm a blood donor so found out that way.

Simile Fri 07-Nov-14 21:21:10

My DSs were both tested at birth by heel prick. This was because I'm A-. Can't remember now which was A- and which A+ blush

choc0clock Fri 07-Nov-14 22:03:19

I am a blood doner - found out that way too.

if you must know, could you not talk to GP about a test?

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Fri 07-Nov-14 22:04:34

I am a blood donor, that's how I know mine (A+)

DayLillie Fri 07-Nov-14 22:12:11

They used to let us stab our fingers and test ourselves at school, but it got stopped because of hepatitis risk sad

KatieKaye Fri 07-Nov-14 22:20:32

In an emergency situation you do not need to know the person's blood group - they will be given 0- blood.

Blood donors will be told their blood group, as will people tested for various other donor programmes, such as bone marrow and plasmapheresis (donating plasma). Blood donors will find out the grouping (I am A-) and the other programmes do further in-depth screening tests that effectively tissue-type you, so you end up with a huge long string of letters.

Borttagen Fri 07-Nov-14 22:34:03

I have had glandular fever and never heard I shouldn't donate blood - have done in two countries since. Pretty sure I've never been asked, have only ever been refused for iron too low.

The rhesus test is different for donors and recipients and and can give a different result. I'm +ve for donating (which I found out from being a donor) and -ve for receiving blood (pregnancy/operations) as am partial D.

Musicaltheatremum Fri 07-Nov-14 22:37:33

No reasonto know your blood group routinely. Blood group testing is expensive so don't ask your GP for one. They don't get charged directly but it all comes out of the NHS pot.

PacificDogwood Fri 07-Nov-14 22:39:30

1. Donate blood
2. Get it checked privately
3. Your GP will not do it, nor should they have to.
4. It may be on your maternity records if you have had a baby in the past.

Badvoc123 Sat 08-Nov-14 06:19:34

Oh gosh, I'm not going to ask my gp to do it!
Just curious....

NCIS Sat 08-Nov-14 06:39:23

I used to know mine but have forgotten.

SquidgyMummy Sat 08-Nov-14 07:26:59

i found out when i was pregnant B-

LizzieMint Sat 08-Nov-14 07:37:33

I know because I'm a blood donor. I also know all the childrens because they were tested at birth (I'm rh negative). And because I know theirs, we've worked out what H must be too!
I'd try donating again, I've never heard that glandular fever is an issue, it's certainly not anything they ask you about on the health checklist.

Comingfoccacia Sat 08-Nov-14 07:44:02

I just got our dts blood tested. They need it for their overseas passport (they have dual nationality). We got a test online for about £8 and it was pretty straight forward. GPs don't hold this info which I did find a bit strange.

ARightOldPickle Sat 08-Nov-14 09:13:24

Found out when pregnant as A-, and was also told DDs when they were born. 2 are O+ and one is O-.

As previously said, you find out your group if you donate blood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now