Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sickness and now stomach pains

(12 Posts)
ProfessorPickles Thu 06-Nov-14 23:02:12

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm planning on going to the doctors with it but I've just started with stomach pains and I'm feeling a little worried.

For a few months now I've been feeling sick a lot especially when I've just eaten and I keep having loose bowel movements and more frequently and my stomach usually hurts before I go.

I've just tried to go and I've started with pains in my stomach and the nasty sicky feeling is coming back.

I worry as I have had an eating disorder since I was a child where I eat the same meals every day and I worry I've done myself damage although I imagine it is unlikely.

IsItMeOr Thu 06-Nov-14 23:05:12

Get to the GP and get it checked out, as those symptoms could be any number of things - some serious, some not.

pushmepullyou Thu 06-Nov-14 23:06:09

It sounds familiar to me. Nausea after eating and feeling really full even when I hadn't eaten much - could easily last a couple of days. I had a positive coeliac blood test and stopped eating wheat. Am 100% better now smile

IsItMeOr Thu 06-Nov-14 23:34:59

It also sounds familiar to me from when I had anxiety. And when I had suspected IBS.

And from when a friend had a womb infection and ovarian cysts.

All of which can be treated.

It's just telling you that something is upsetting your digestive system, and that could be many, many things.

You need to get it checked out to know what it is, and what will help it.

ProfessorPickles Fri 07-Nov-14 08:23:37

That's a very wide range of possibilities, I wonder how they would even start to know where to look!

I have just rang them now and they've booked me in for Tuesday morning.

I've kept putting it off because it has at times not felt so bad but last night was the first time I got proper pains in my stomach as opposed to just sickness and stomach ache.

IsItMeOr Fri 07-Nov-14 08:30:29

You're right Professor, be prepared that you might need to have a number of tests to get to the bottom of what is going on. Well done on making that appointment.

ProfessorPickles Fri 07-Nov-14 12:06:52

I'm feeling worse than usual today and it's worrying me! All I can keep thinking is stomach cancer, but I know it could be allsorts of things that could be easy to treat!

I hope the doctor is thorough about checking what it could be, I haven't met him before

IsItMeOr Fri 07-Nov-14 14:46:45

Sorry you're feeling poorly. If you are worried about how bad it's getting, remember you can always try A&E or a walk-in centre.

Wolfbasher Fri 07-Nov-14 14:50:09

Yes, go to the GP. It does sound a bit like coeliac, so I would suggest a test. Although my coeliac child's vomiting is about 2 hours after eating gluten rather than immediately (when the gluten hits the small intestine).

Don't change your eating before you have a test as it will invalidate the results.

NanaNina Fri 07-Nov-14 23:43:53

I've got similar symptoms PP and had them on and off since the summer - but they got worse in Sept/Oct but cleared up end October but are now back and I'm a bit worried. I know I should have seen GP but I don't like going there, and I keep thinking/hoping it will just go away but it doesn't. Never had anything like this before and yes my stomach hurts a bit before and after a bowel movement.

Just posted on another thread about constant nausea - be interested on what tests the GP does. Some people on the other thread have seen a GP but no one has mentioned an endoscopy (where they put a tube with a camera in down your throat) to see if there is anything wrong in the stomach. I had one a few years ago for acid reflux and it wasn't very pleasant but only lasted a few minutes. Mind neither is this feeling sick all the time very pleasant.

I know I need to see the GP..........

ProfessorPickles Sat 08-Nov-14 08:42:37

Make an appointment today Nina we will do it together, no need to feel afraid.

We will be able to support each other through any tests we need. What do you think?
Don't leave it any longer, if you're feeling like I am it definitely needs to be seen about. It could be something very simple!
Are you on any medication?

NanaNina Sat 08-Nov-14 14:33:40

Hi PP - thing is I went to see my GP back in August (about something else - I'm quite old (70!) and was having dizzy spells and palpitations but she tested everything and said there was nothing wrong with my heart or lungs. However she gave me a form to have a blood test as I haven't had one for ages and I forgot all about it, and only had it done about 3 weeks ago. When the results were in, someone from the surgery phoned to say the GP wanted me to have another fasting blood test in 2 weeks and it's for "plasma glucose" so of course I googled and it's related to the possibility of diabetes. I am having the 2nd blood test on Thursday next week so I was waiting to see the result of that and if there's still a problem, she will want to see me and I can tell her about the nausea then.

Yes I'm on meds for depression and anxiety. I have intermittent depression (long story) and am on high doses of 2 different ADs. I changed one of them this summer and it has been very effective and I'm really worried that the nausea could be a side effect of this as it started about the same time. However if I have to choose between mental and physical illness, I'd go with the latter every time.

If the GP doesn't call me back (but I think she will as I've been worried about diabetes for a while - I'm overweight by about 3 stones mostly because of the effects of one of the ADs which is notorious for weight gain by slowing down metabolism) I will definitely make an appointment.

Let me know how you get on............

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now