Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How much tinned tuna is OK?

(2 Posts)
rhubarbmum Thu 06-Nov-14 13:31:36

We eat a lot of tinned tuna in our house. One of my 3 kids has a tuna wrap with sweetcorn for packed lunch every day (about half a small tin of tuna), and will probably eat it in a pasta sauce or on a baked potato at some point in the week as well. Same ds will also have one meal that is c.5 fish fingers. He doesn't like meat.
Recently someone told me that it's too much because of mercury levels. It never occurred to me to worry about mercury levels as I was just glad that he likes tuna, when he won't eat chicken, ham, cheese, or other sarnies that most other children like. In the winter I tend to make a big minestrone that I can give him as an alternative in a thermos on some days, which he loves, but is the tinned tuna thing really serious? I read this article which seems to say you can eat as much as you want.
www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/fish-shellfish.aspx#much2

BertieBotts Thu 06-Nov-14 15:18:42

Yes it's fine. I think pregnant women are supposed to eat no more than 4 (?) tins a week but no guidance for anyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now