Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mum's Heart problems

(4 Posts)
craftysewer Tue 04-Nov-14 22:37:32

Been to the GP today with my mum who has heart failure. She has ischemic heart problems and apparently the middle wall (between the chambers) is not working, neither are the two lower ones. According to the Echo she has had a heart attack, but not realised it. Although I know there is nothing that can be done (she's too old for a heart transplant), I suppose my question is: can I expect her to start having more heart attacks now as her heart becomes less reliable?

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Wed 05-Nov-14 12:32:05

Not necessarily. Presumably she'll have medication to help her heart, and warfarin to thin the blood? She could go along fine like that for a long time. My nan has and she's 92. thanks

craftysewer Fri 07-Nov-14 00:10:14

Thanks InSpace, I think I just needed to hear that. Glad your nan's still going strong smile

eyestightshut Sun 09-Nov-14 09:49:47

She may fit the criteria for a Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy (CRT). For the ventricles to work effectively they need to pump simultaneously. What frequently happens in heart failure is that they pump out of sync, resulting in a poorer ejection of blood from the heart. Some more information ink{http://www.heartfailurematters.org/en_GB/What-can-your-doctor-do/Cardiac-Resynchronisation-Therapy-CRT\www.heartfailurematters.org/en_GB/What-can-your-doctor-do/Cardiac-Resynchronisation-Therapy-CR]]T}
Aside from that she will need a combination of medications usually diuretic such as furosemide, and ACE Inhibitor (eg Ramapril) and either a beta blocker (eg bisoprolol) or digoxin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now