Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High blood pressure (not pregnant)

(10 Posts)
JustSayNoNoNo Tue 04-Nov-14 13:41:51

Just had a routine BP check at work. The only reading that wasn't off the scale was 185/100. Was sent straight off to GP - same reading. I've to go back next week for another check and possibly medication.

Anybody else had this, and successfully managed to bring it down without medication? Or should I just accept that medication is what I need right now? This has really shocked me.

574ejones Tue 04-Nov-14 15:23:21

I think lifestyle can make some difference. I started on a low dose of BP meds two months ago and it has come down but have a med review with Dr in another month. The British Heart Foundation has some useful info on what lifestyle changes to make.

Matildathecat Tue 04-Nov-14 17:22:08

Although of course weight, smoking,drinking and exercise are all important,some people just have hypertension. I have been on meds for many years, it seems to run in the female line in my family. I lost weight but it didn't make any difference ( although I was only just borderline overweight and BMI now 21).

The main thing to remember is that you aren't just about to have a stroke or a heart attack but would increase the risk if untreated so it's a good thing to know. After a few different meds I seem settled on amlodipine and have a BP around 140/90. Everyone always looks surprised because I'm a slim non smoker.

I think the NICE guidelines recommend a 24hour BP monitor before starting treatment but our surgery doesn't have enough so that hasn't happened. Also bloods and an ECG so you should get a good MOT and if there are changes you can make it's a good incentive to do so.smile

Lushlush Mon 10-Nov-14 07:00:50

Keeping the weight down will definitely help.

Drinking strong parsley tea daily helps bp.

I still take my bp meds but can't be too careful like you op bp in the family.

grunty Mon 10-Nov-14 07:12:58

I would take the meds. Over the long term lifestyle changes help but the GP will insist you take them now. It took about 6 months for me to find suitable meds but many do not have that problem.

icanhaveadarksideifyouwantmeto Mon 10-Nov-14 07:17:58

i worked in an office and my bp was so high i was prescribed two bp medication.

five years ago i changed my job to a homebased CM and kept on the medication.

3 weeks ago i had my first normal reading.

i firmly believe it is a combination of the changes i made in my lifestyle (doing a job that didnt agree with me) and the medication.

please follow your doctors advice.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 10-Nov-14 07:53:34

Yes,I lost weight, walked every day and started breathing techniques. I started meds but got very ill taking them so had to do it naturally. Bottom reading went from 114 to roughly 82-90 ish.

My readings with the 24 hr monitor were ridiculous as the cuff was annoying and hurt, so I ended up taking it off. I did my own home reading twice a day and made a note of them and took them to the GP. I always have to take 2 or 3 readings as I hate having it done and I have white coat syndrome, it's actually on my notes nowhmm grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 10-Nov-14 07:54:07

I also take magnesium supplement.

Lushlush Mon 10-Nov-14 08:18:00

The only natural route that has helped my bp par losing weight is parsley tea.

ChillySundays Tue 11-Nov-14 22:09:56

All good advice about changing lifestyle if you aren't doing that already but accept the fact that you may need medication. Better to take medication than suffer a heart attack.

Hope it all goes well OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now