Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weird head, jaw, teeth after birth.

(9 Posts)
Spaghettinetti Tue 04-Nov-14 08:06:03

Hi,

I had a baby six months ago and have had a few issues with my head, jaw and teeth. Whilst I was pregnant, I experienced a tingling sensation in both cheeks. This cleared up but now I have sensitivity in my face (the right side of my nose and eye), earache and a sort of nerve sensitivity ( like pulsating nerves in my face) as well as a general feeling of pressure on my teeth- like my jaw is somehow misaligned, or my wisdom teeth are pushing on all of the others. I've not been to a dentist/doctor yet as I'm away at the moment, but I was wondering if this was something that is quite common after pregnancy (I seem to remember having my jaw checked before I left hospital). It isn't continuous but it is worrying me and the more anxious I become, the worse it seems to get.

Any advice is most welcome!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 04-Nov-14 08:08:04

Could it be Bells Palsy?

wigfieldrocks Tue 04-Nov-14 08:14:03

Neuralgia or TMJ? Sounds like you need your GP to refer you to ENT or max fax, your dentist could also do this.

Celestria Tue 04-Nov-14 08:28:03

Just to query. Are you clenching your teeth a lot in the day or grinding your teeth in your sleep? It can be a tension/stress thing too.

Spaghettinetti Tue 04-Nov-14 08:55:25

I think I might be clenching. I'm breastfeeding and think I might hold myself in a funny position or 'concentrate' too much when I do this. Maybe chewing gum like a football manager would help?

Rogerthatmummy Tue 04-Nov-14 08:58:12

During labour when I was clenching my jaw when pushing I somehow pushed my jaw out of alignment. I saw an osteopath afterwards who was able to put it right I know this is only a small part of your experience but might be worth a go

ireallydontlikemonday Tue 04-Nov-14 12:33:49

I had TMJ for a year after I had my twins - I literally couldn't open my mouth at all at some times. I had an appointment with the consultant who offered to prescribe valium which wasn't an option when dealing with small children through the night! In the end I got a tooth whitening kit that has the plates in and moulded the plates and wore them at night - stopped me clenching / grinding in my sleep and way cheaper than getting a special bruxism guard at the dentist.

Spaghettinetti Wed 05-Nov-14 07:55:58

Thanks for your help. What were your symptoms Ireallydontlikemondays, if you don't mind me asking?

ireallydontlikemonday Thu 06-Nov-14 14:34:34

Hi my symptoms were that I literally couldn't open my mouth some days on others I could with severe pain. Also lots of achey feelings. Truly horrible, hope you get it sorted soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now