Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone suffer with Herpetic whitlows?

(5 Posts)
TheJourney22 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:50:19

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpetic_whitlow

Anyone else suffer with these?

I have had them for 8 years, never knew what it was until last year I saw a Harley Street dermatologist who diagnosed whitlows which I'm cringing at as basically it's herpes on my fingers!?!? WTF?!

So I have bare it out .. they are agony, only flare up when stressed, run down etc but they are so bad I'm actually on preventative treatment now (orally)

Feel a bit of a freak?!! Never had a cold sore in my life, yet low & behold my fingers are covered in horrific weeping blisters ... Attractiveness at its highest confused

Just would like to know if anyone else suffers or experiences?

RunningOutOfIdeas Mon 03-Nov-14 21:21:46

Yes I have them a couple of times recently. Like you I have never had a cold sore but for the past year I have been battling herpetic keratitis (essentially a cold sore on my eye).

The cold sore virus is the most common one for causing whitlows, but it can be any of the 8 HSV viruses. It doesn't really matter which it is because the treatment is the same. Approx 75% of the population carry HSV. It is just bad luck that it flares up in us.

I think stress is definitely a trigger for me also. This past year I have had to deal with health issues with both DCs, lack of sleep due to toddler, moved house, managing a very difficult person at work and DH being stressed and bloody hard to live with.

I am now taking acyclovir tablets and GP is really trying to help sort out toddler's health (at least the part that was affecting sleep). So I am hoping things will get better.

TheJourney22 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:34:39

Blimey! Yes I am on the same tablets.

I find it so bizarre of all places to have the blisters on eye / fingers. Evil things & it's a virus so have it forever sad

He took one look at my finger under a microscope & went "yep, that's it, you're going to have to live with it" ��

Just interesting to know that others have the virus .. Could be worse "ahem" if you know what I mean shock

Never had a flare up in my pregnancy & now a year after DS was born, full blown attack.

Glad to hear you are getting some sleep. I'm quite lucky DS (11.5mths) sleeps well.

TheJourney22 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:44:02

Christ! Just googled what you have ... You poor thing sad my fingers don't seem so bad now!

Do you take the pills as preventative or when you have a flare up? I am doing both

RunningOutOfIdeas Mon 03-Nov-14 23:00:22

At least my eye doesn't usually hurt. The blisters on my finger were way more painful. I am taking the tablets to try to prevent any more flare ups. The eye cream has to be done 5 times a day which is a real faff. I could not keep going with it indefinitely so I prefer to have the tablets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now