Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anybody have/had long term persistent cough?

(6 Posts)
oldtelephone Mon 03-Nov-14 17:04:49

I went to the GP back in approx May after a particularly bad cough remained after a cold. I was told it was an upper respiratory infection and given antibiotics.

The antibiotics stopped the wheezing but the cough has remained, though less severe. I've also had catarrh constantly too. My throat has also started to hurt a little, I don't know if this is as a result of the coughing etc So I'm a bit croaky and hoarse today. The cough is worse late at night, last thing in the morning and immediately following exercise (I'm not unfit and unused to walking and don't smoke.

Any ideas on what to do next or am I stuck with it?
Thanks in advance

catsofa Mon 03-Nov-14 17:11:08

Back to the GP I think, sounds like something is still up and if you don't go back they'll assume that the last thing they gave you sorted it all out. Go back and tell them you're still not really well. Hope it gets sorted soon!

pinkfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 21:15:55

Most coughs are viral and don't get better with ABs. You only need ABs if you have a proper bacterial infection- chest infection- and even then they tend to go on their own- been quite a lot about this in the press recently due to the over-prescribing of ABs.

It sounds more like asthma and allergy-induced.

You need a peak flow measurement to see if it's asthma and maybe a referral to an allergist for skin prick tests to see if it's dust mites or something environmental that is making you cough.

oldtelephone Tue 04-Nov-14 00:15:04

Yes, of course! I didn't even question the ABs, I was desperate for something to work I think, I'd hurt my ribs with the coughing at that stage and the wheezing scared me almost.

Thank you. I'll definitely go back to the GP. I've been putting it off as sometimes I have a good day, though never a full day, and I think it has gone, but then it comes back without warning, or coughing fits are triggered by something like aerosol. I've had a bad couple of days this weekend which has made me want to get it resolved.

thegreylady Tue 04-Nov-14 09:12:46

That sounds exactly like my asthma. Worse in the morning and at night, that is caused by lying down/ sitting up (changing position) and if I go from a warm room to cold it starts up. It is always worse after a cold and the cough can last for weeks and weeks. Mine never goes completely but is controlled by inhalers. Go and see your GP asap. I have had a couple of chest Xrays to check all was well.

gingeroots Tue 04-Nov-14 10:48:56

just to say that some medication for high blood pressure can cause a persistent cough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now