Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My periods have stopped. 30. Not pregnant.

(17 Posts)
MrsBloodCurdlingscrEames Mon 03-Nov-14 10:18:12

My last period was May of this year.

In September I was referee to the hospital because of lack of period and abdominal pain (they wanted to rule out pregnancy).

I had an internal scan. Not pg, everything looked fine. Dr prescribed pills to induce a period.
7 days later had VERY light period lasting a few days and not had another one since.

Any ideas why my period would just stop. Dr wasn't very helpful with information once he was satisfied I wasn't pregnant.

JubJubBirds Mon 03-Nov-14 10:22:01

Hmm... How frustrating for you! I dint think I can help very much really....

Could you go back to your GP (ask for a second opinion if you're not satisfied)? Have you had any blood tests done?

MrsBloodCurdlingscrEames Mon 03-Nov-14 10:24:39

No blood tests no. They only seemed interested in making sure it wasn't an eptopic pregnancy and once that was ruled out they just wanted me gone really.

MrsBloodCurdlingscrEames Mon 03-Nov-14 10:25:08

Which was very unlikely as my husband had a vasectomy.

JubJubBirds Mon 03-Nov-14 10:32:33

How do you feel about it? Do you have concerns over your fertility or are you happy with your family as it is?

It might be worth going back and explaining that you're not happy leaving it there and you'd like more testing or signposting to further advice about it.

MrsBloodCurdlingscrEames Mon 03-Nov-14 10:33:47

My husbands had the snip so I don't want any.more children but I just wonder WHY they have stopped. There must be an underlying issue for it to happen?

loudarts Mon 03-Nov-14 10:35:32

Have you lost weight, that can cause periods to stop

JubJubBirds Mon 03-Nov-14 10:36:28

Ah sorry, missed your post about your husband.

Sorry I'm not very helpful. I can completely understand your frustration though. If it were me I think I'd be making another appointment with my GP and bringing someone supportive (and pushy) along with me so I want fobbed off. Hopefully someone with some experience will come along soon! thanks

VenusRising Mon 03-Nov-14 10:38:59

You absolutely must have a referral to a gynae.

If you are having premature ovarian failure you NEED to be on some kind of hormones (the pill/ testosterone/ hrt) till you are 50 in order you don't develop osteoporosis.

Contact the daisy network ASAP for advice.

Sorry this is happening to you, go back to your GP and insist this is investigated, 30 is too young.

There is a menopause board section here and there are lots of lovely posters there who may advise you too.

JubJubBirds Mon 03-Nov-14 10:39:36

(The blood test would be to ruleout high levels of prolactin btw.)

JubJubBirds Mon 03-Nov-14 10:40:52

Oh, or could it be stress? How have you been in yourself lately?

notjustamom Mon 03-Nov-14 10:51:57

high levels of prolactin can cause this

Theorientcalf Mon 03-Nov-14 11:53:21

Go and see a different GP. High prolactin levels can stop periods, it's needed for breastfeeding. I have a prolactinoma and my periods stopped. Had bloods and an MRI to diagnose it and I'm on medication now. You need further investigation and a referral.

MrsBloodCurdlingscrEames Mon 03-Nov-14 13:06:12

Weigh loss no. I'm overweight blush

Stress, no more than usual. I suffer from anxiety and depression but nothing out of the ordinary.

Menopause really?! shock I hadn't even thought of that

SuperConfused Mon 03-Nov-14 13:33:28

The obvious one for me, esp if you mention you're overweight, is PCOS (poly cyctic ovarian syndrome). Have a look at the NHS, or a website called verity, and see if you have any other symptoms. V common for friends with it to go 10 months or more without a period.

MrsBloodCurdlingscrEames Mon 03-Nov-14 14:42:27

Not sure it's pcos as I don't have any other symptoms.

I'm a size 16 but it's because I eat crap and don't exercise.

Spaghettinetti Tue 04-Nov-14 08:51:58

It could be all manner of relatively common things. It could be PCOS, you don't need to have any of the other symptoms for this to be the case... I'd recommend asking for full bloodwork to be carried out, that way the doctors can work out whether you have PCOS or some other hormone imbalance, such as a problem with your thyroid or whether you are going into a (very) early menopause (which I think is unlikely).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now