Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CT scan on Monday, likely to be first of many - DH extremely concerned ...

(11 Posts)
Shedding Sun 02-Nov-14 22:13:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarthaCostello Mon 03-Nov-14 11:53:01

Hi, I'm not an expert at all but didn't want your post to go unanswered. I've had three CT scans so far, after a diagnosis of bowel cancer two years ago.

I've recently had a CT scan moved because my oncologist was worried about the radiation at my age. But that was because I'd had an extra one in June, and was due to have one this month then yearly from then on. I will still be having them yearly for the foreseeable future, but in June instead. If that makes sense confused

Will he see a consultant for his scan results afterwards? My instinct would be to have this scan as planned and then to discuss alternatives with them at the appointment.

I had an MRI as well in June. The MRI took much longer than the CT and if your DH is claustrophobic then he might find them more unpleasant (open scanners are available in some places, but not for the average NHS patient).

There are risks from long term CT use, but personally I feel that the benefits outweigh that risk for now. It might be something I revisit later on, depending how long I need the regular scans for.

If MRI is definitely as good for your husband's case then I'm sure his team would be willing to consider it, or they may be able to explain why CT is more appropriate and allay his fears. And having this scan doesn't mean that he must consent to future ones if he does not want to.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I've not known anyone to be so concerned about the risk of a single CT scan, could it be that he is frightened of the results and so is trying to avoid the scan?

Shedding Mon 03-Nov-14 20:13:08

Annietheacrobat Mon 03-Nov-14 20:23:09

Firstly so sorry you are going through this but please remember that testicular cancer has a high chance of cure.

Will this be his first scan following diagnosis? If so I would say that it is important to have full staging at this point. CT scans are better at looking at the lungs than MRI.

In answer to your question I think the lifetime risk of radiation induced second cancer from a CT chest and abdomen is approx 1/1000.

They are looking at ways to reduce radiation exposure during testicular cancer follow up - reducing frequency of scans and using abdominal MRI in combination with chest X-rays etc. His oncologist will be happy to go through this in detail I am sure.

Annietheacrobat Mon 03-Nov-14 20:24:39

Cross posted!

digerd Mon 03-Nov-14 20:48:36

Testicular cancer is very easy to cure. My nephew had it and despite it havig spread to his stomach lymph glands, after removal of testical tumour and the lymph glands he needed only 2 injections of chemo - one a month for 2 months- and he was cured.
It was necessary to have the dead lymph node tumours removed surgically.
That was several years ago and no trouble since despite continuing to smoke.

Shedding Mon 03-Nov-14 21:02:04

MarthaCostello Mon 03-Nov-14 23:13:41

Glad everyone was so helpful and that he came to a decision he was comfortable with smile

My MRI was for my liver and I found the breathing tricky, so I can certainly see how that would be a problem for chest scans!

I hope that the results are all clear and that he is able to decide on a satisfactory follow up plan with his consultant.

Shedding Tue 04-Nov-14 14:26:17

Tiny100 Tue 04-Nov-14 19:49:38

Your poor DH, it is terrible to have these types of anxieties. This xray calculator might help him put everything into perspective. Do pass on, if you think it will be of use.

Shedding Tue 04-Nov-14 22:22:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now