Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swollen salivary glands

(3 Posts)
Icantstopeatinglol Sun 02-Nov-14 20:29:41

Does anyone have on and off swelling of the salivary glands (just under tongue/chin?
I feel like it comes and goes and can get sore to swallow at times. I've got psoriatic arthritis which is an autoimmune problem and just wondered if it's to do with this?

KurriKurri Mon 03-Nov-14 12:36:53

My XH had this - and it turned out to be a stone in his salivary gland - which moved about and sometimes blocked the duct causing the gland to swell - it was sore until it unblocked itself.

I would ask to have it checked. My X actually had two stones over the years - the first was removed under local Anaesthetic, the second was trickier to get at and he had a GA for that one.

I don;t know about any connection with arthritis, - there could be a connection with any drugs you are taking and a tendancy to form stones - but that's a guess on my part (I am on cancer drugs which have a side effect of causing gallstones is the reason I mention it.)

But I'd definitely get it checked out - it could be an infection of some sort in your gland, which I would guess you are more prone to if you are immunosuppressed?

jdubb Tue 04-Nov-14 10:41:37

I had this in my 20s, and now, in my 40s it transpires I have a whole host of autoimmune 'irregularities'. I would say that mine was most definitely related to an autoimmune problem - and more recently having been diagnosed with Sjögren's syndrome (a condition which mainly affects the glands that produce saliva and tears) I find recurrent eye infections are now the bane of my life, but my local eye hospital are fab thankfully. Bodies can be so weird sometimes! Definitely get it checked out, and hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now