Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Compression bandage - on all the time?

(18 Posts)
LisaMed Sun 02-Nov-14 13:37:52

I have been told to go to the GP to get a compression bandage. Would it need to be on all the time? I can't seem to find out by googling.

I can't cope with pressure on my limbs, and I can't keep crying in front of my seven year old. If it had to be on all the time, what are the alternatives?

Grateful for any help.

ggirl Sun 02-Nov-14 13:39:52

Do you mean compression hosiery? If so you can take of at bedtime .

LisaMed Sun 02-Nov-14 13:41:31

The consultant said compression bandage, I couldn't get her to explain, and the whole thing was very rushed. I had to beg to get the appointment.

I couldn't cope for a whole day.

ggirl Sun 02-Nov-14 13:42:26

Is it for your legs ?

LisaMed Sun 02-Nov-14 13:46:49

It is for my left leg. Since April it has been itchy, lots of lumps, by July there was fluid running down the leg and I was going frantic with itching. September I got IV antibiotics for cellulitis.

To give some context, my GP marked it down as my right leg. sad

I am now on paraffin ointment plus steroids that the pharmacist said were very, very strong and to treat with extreme caution. There's eczema on all my limbs atm though it started on my left leg. I didn't have eczema before this year.

The swelling has been there for years, the GP gave up. It's only on the left side.

I'm finding it a bit tough. I have no idea what is going on.

LisaMed Sun 02-Nov-14 13:47:39

btw, thank you for helping. I am totally clueless.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 02-Nov-14 16:33:56

It sounds very much like they want you to wear pressure stocking. I always feel it is like tight leggings when I wear them.

ggirl Sun 02-Nov-14 17:03:01

Sounds miserable, you will need to have a doppler assessment before compression stocking can be worn to rule out any problems with arterial circulation. Strange you only have swelling in one leg?
Anyway the stocking can be taken off at night .

PinkSparklyElephant Sun 02-Nov-14 17:04:41

DH has to wear a compression stocking after DVT last year and he wears it during the day and can take it off at night.

I hope you get some answers and feel better soon.

ggirl Sun 02-Nov-14 17:05:25

Is it lymphoedema ?

lilac26 Sun 02-Nov-14 18:52:33

Your GP needs to refer you, probably to dermatology (skin), possibly to vascular(circulation)- some areas have a clinic which incorporates both.

Not because there is anything seriously wrong but because you need seeing by somebody who can make an assessment of what is causing the trouble plan how to get your leg better.

LisaMed Sun 02-Nov-14 19:02:57

ggirl When I was in A&E (leg swelled so much I couldn't bend it to go upstairs - cellulitis, apparently) they mentioned lymphodema when they talked amongst themselves, but I don't really know what it is.

I have a lot more faith asking on mumsnet than I do googling. I think Dr Google can lead you a little off the beaten track.

I've had a referral for dermatology. DS heard me beg for it, I can't keep doing this to him. The consultant there said that I need to wear a compression bandage and to make an appointment with the GP to get one fitted. I have no idea why, it was all a bit rushed and confusing.

I had a bandage put on in the summer. I don't feel pain properly - it sounds daft, but I can never really process it or describe it. I was out in the street afterwards when I started crying with the pain, in front of ds. I can't keep doing that. If I can take it off when he is there, though, then that's not so bad.

LisaMed Sun 02-Nov-14 19:05:33

Thank you all for your help, I do appreciate it. You can probably tell that I am bewildered. I've been told it is to do with gluten, that it's chicken pox, that it's psoriasis, that it is definitely not gluten, chickenpox or psoriasis, and I have been repeatedly told to come back in a fortnight. I'm feeling a bit lost and I am very grateful for what you are saying.

ggirl Sun 02-Nov-14 20:25:56

If I were you I would ask for a referral to vascular clinic for duplex scan.

ggirl Sun 02-Nov-14 20:26:48

It is to check the venous and arterial blood supply

crispandfruity Sun 02-Nov-14 20:34:47

Do you have varicose veins on that leg? As pp's have said you need a scan to rule out any venous/arterial issues before compression. I hope you get it sorted.

LisaMed Mon 03-Nov-14 00:04:07

I have varicose veins everywhere - and I mean everywhere. My circulation is pathetic. When I was a kid the GP told me I had Reynauds.

I am supposed to be making an appointment with the nurse. It seems a bit unfair to ask a nurse to make a decision if there are questions about veins. I don't even know what questions to ask myself.

Thanks for all the info - I am totally at sea. I would be lost without mumsnet, I certainly don't trust Dr Google!

Thank you for your info, I'll try making an appointment with a different GP.

ggirl Tue 04-Nov-14 20:55:39

The practice nurse will be able to do a doppler test on your legs , but worth seeing GP first in case they think referral to vascular clinic is more appropriate .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now