Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hair loss following surgery - any experience

(6 Posts)
Nancy66 Sun 02-Nov-14 10:46:17

I had fairly major abdominal surgery mid July and now my hair is falling out by the handful. This is pretty common it seems but the amount is alarming (so much more than post pregnancy.) Anybody experience this and know how long it lasts for? So far been about six weeks

I had blood tests recently to rule out other issues: thyroid, iron levels etc and all came back clear.

574ejones Sun 02-Nov-14 19:11:01

I lost a lot of hair after being in intensive care but not until about three months later. I spoke to the nurse who said any stress on your body can do that and it is normal. Mine is beginning to lessen now, it lasted about 3-4 months.

FrancesNiadova Sun 02-Nov-14 19:43:25

Hi Nancy, yes I have had quite major hair loss following surgery. I had a v. bad dislocated trimalleolar ankle fracture needing surgery (5 hrs), 18 months later I had a mastectomy with reconstruction for breast cancer (9 1/2hrs), then another BC op, then an ankle fusion with bone graft.
All this happened in under 3 years & my hair came out in hands full. I had it cut short because of it. People couldn't believe that I hadn't had chemo!
Anyway, fast forward 6 months, no operations, just rehab, & I've had my hair cut. It is growing back quite quickly now!
I'm sure that your hair will come back too.
Best wishes brew

Nancy66 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:38:18

Thanks for the replies.
I think I probably need to get a shorter cut just to get me through the next couple of months.

I dread washing it because it's so traumatic seeing handfuls in the plug hole. But...at least I'm well - so could be worse.

FrancesNiadova Sun 02-Nov-14 20:58:10

Oh Nancy, it's such a rotten thing to go through. I hope that you're feeling better soon thanks

Nancy66 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:34:39

thanks Frances smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now