Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS and peppermint oil

(5 Posts)
Pud2 Sat 01-Nov-14 16:00:51

I have IBS episodes which mainly consist of terrible spasms and diarrhoea. This only happens every now and again, and is generally around the time of my periods. My GP has given me peppermint oil capsules. The recommended dose is 3 times a day, before meals. Given that I only get attacks when I have my period I was wondering whether to just take them then, or all the time?

RockinD Sat 01-Nov-14 19:35:37

I'm not sure it works as a preventive. I just take it as I need it.

Buttercup27 Sat 01-Nov-14 19:39:14

I take as needed. If you know that you get an attack when you are on your period I would start taking it a couple of days before you are due on and a couple of days after.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 02-Nov-14 08:26:27

Pud2

It may not be IBS at all you are suffering from particularly if this is all happening around the time of your periods.

It may be a short term measure to what is likely to have been happening for some while now.

I would be seeing a gynae in your particular circumstances as some women with such problems who are told they have IBS actually have endometriosis instead (and that can certainly also cause stomach problems).

Pud2 Sun 02-Nov-14 10:18:14

Thanks for the advice Attila. I have wondered about that but don't think I have Endometriosis as I have no problems with my periods. I used to, and was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries in my twenties. I had horrid, heavy, irregular periods. However, following a breast cancer diagnosis and chemotherapy, I have had regular, light periods. One small positive outcome of chemo according to my consultant!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now