Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone bought antibiotics?

(32 Posts)
nethunsreject Thu 30-Oct-14 21:08:47

Here in the UK I mean?
I have an infection just now and Dr has given me a 7 day course. However, I've looked at the NICE guidelines and it suggests 10 days.
In the past, the infection has recurred and I've needed more abx after initial improvement so ten days makes sense.
My gp isn't one for patients being well informed iyswim, so going in asking him to extend the course will not go down well! I just need three days worth. Can I buy it anywhere safely.!
Thank you

HowsTheSerenity Fri 31-Oct-14 03:27:44

Take the amount you have (the complete course) then go back to the GP.
You may not need more. If you need more they will be prescribed.

SunshineAndShadows Fri 31-Oct-14 04:12:32

It is illegal to buy antibiotics in the uk they are a prescription-only medicine.

HeyMicky Fri 31-Oct-14 05:34:28

The 7 or 10 day time frame is arbitrary. It's picked to be long enough to kill the bugs but not so long you get a reaction. So no need to buy extra, if they're going to work they will do in 7 days

nethunsreject Fri 31-Oct-14 08:33:00

Thanks for replying,
I'm not sure about arbitrary, if nice recommend 10 days, shouldn't that be the default? Also in the past a seven day course has meant a recurrence shortly after :-\.
I wish I had faith in our local gp but he is hopeless, there have been numerous complaints about him.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 31-Oct-14 08:42:40

The answer is no you can't buy any anywhere safely. Either you tackle the GP now and politely inform him of current NICE guidelines which are freely available or take the course and then go back if it recurs.
Personally I would go back to the GP as the 7 to 10 days difference is arbitrary certain conditions have recommendations because this how long studies have shown it takes to get full bacterialogical cure and this varies from condition to condition and is often long than clinical (visible) cure.
Ensuring bacteriological cure is a cornerstone of good antibiotic use and prevention of resistance developing.

nethunsreject Fri 31-Oct-14 09:01:54

Hi lone, do you mean go now or when it inevitably recurs?
The guidance says ten days for this specific ailment.
Thanks!

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 31-Oct-14 09:03:36

I would go now with the NICE guidelines.

nethunsreject Fri 31-Oct-14 09:47:14

Thanks, I'd like to do that, however I know he'll trot out his usual line 'it's a guideline, not a directive' with cat's bum face! :-)

HeyMicky Fri 31-Oct-14 10:07:48

I meant even NICE's recommendation is arbitrary. Of course, this varies condition to condition, but the individual recommendation will be correct.Whatever the dose on the packet is will be sufficient for the condition - an extra three days won't make any difference.

nethunsreject Fri 31-Oct-14 10:19:32

Nice guidelines are evidence based. They should be the default. The bnf also says ten days. And the patient information leaflet. In the past, seven days has caused a recurrence.

turn360 Fri 31-Oct-14 10:34:47

u can - search the online clinic

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 31-Oct-14 13:11:22

HeyMicky I disagree there is really god evidence that in certain conditions 3 days will make the difference hence the NICE guidelines.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 31-Oct-14 13:11:35

Good evidence that is.

Matildathecat Fri 31-Oct-14 13:25:52

Genuine question, if your GP is crap, why don't you change? There are surely plenty of excellent gps around. thlhmm

Roonerspism Fri 31-Oct-14 13:29:43

Is it a UTI?

My GP cocked up on this when I was preg. Got a 5 day course and needed 10. Useless fecker and I ended up in triage as infection worsened (it was also the wrong AB)

I see a different GP now!

nethunsreject Fri 31-Oct-14 15:01:15

It's a throat infection.
Rural area so no other gp :-\

turn360 Fri 31-Oct-14 15:16:24

you can smile see my post above, done it many a time

www.theonlineclinic.co.uk/buy-amoxicillin.asp

nethunsreject Fri 31-Oct-14 15:35:42

Thank you

CrashDiveOnMingoCity Fri 31-Oct-14 18:02:29

With something as minor as a throat infections, will 3 days really make a difference? Genuine question.

InfinitySeven Fri 31-Oct-14 18:07:27

I would not buy antibiotics online. It's illegal, and it'll most likely be fake. They are hoping it works as a placebo.

If you need more, call the doctor and calmly state that you need a 10 day course, and could he please write a script for you to pick up. It doesn't matter what facial expression he pulls then. If you still have no luck, contact PALs. But don't get them off the internet. The risks are just too high.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 31-Oct-14 18:22:00

Crash for tonsillitis yes it absolutely will repeat culturing ave shown that after 7 days whilst the tonsils appear clear bacteria are still present it takes 10 days to clear all the bacteria.

pinkfrocks Fri 31-Oct-14 18:30:11

I used to get very bad and regular tonsillitis and never had any more than 5 days worth.
A bacterial infection in the throat ought to clear up within 7 days- I'd have thought.

If it doesn't go back and see what they suggest.

CrashDiveOnMingoCity Fri 31-Oct-14 18:44:03

I thought that many episodes of tonsillitis were viral anyway. Also, OP said it was a throat infection, tonsillitis tends to be a bit more intense IME.

pinkfrocks Fri 31-Oct-14 19:19:13

Many drs won't give ABs for throat infections unless they are swabbed first and shown to be bacterial. Giving out ABs willy nilly is why there is such an issue now on AB resistance.

Most throat infections will go away on their own and gargling with salty water or soluble aspirin is a good home remedy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now