Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore big toe joint - expected niggle?

(10 Posts)
ClockWatchingLady Thu 30-Oct-14 19:40:30

I'm 35 and have had a sore and clicky big toe joint (where toe joins foot) for a few years (not painful enough to be gout, or hot/red). I think it's getting worse.
Is it worth seeing a doctor, or is this just one of those things people accrue over time and have to live with?

Thank you MNers.

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Oct-14 19:45:04

Watching with interest. I have one sore big toe!

mrsnoname Sat 01-Nov-14 00:34:53

big toe arthiritis - hallux rigidus. If this is the case, you'll just have to learn to live with it:-(.

MexicanSpringtime Sat 01-Nov-14 00:44:32

Have you tried aspirin? If it is arthritis and you can take aspirin, there is nothing better in my experience. Only take it to get rid of the pain.

MiddletonPink Sat 01-Nov-14 08:09:08

Yes to arthritis. I was shocked when the podiatrist told me I had it too.

" but I'm only 47 " I said. " exactly " he said.

Mine comes and goes and I just put up with it. It's at the bottom of my falling apart body list atm [grin[

Waxlyrically Sun 02-Nov-14 19:12:20

Think it is a common middle age thing. I saw a podiatrist about mine as it makes me limp sometimes but wasn't much they could do. Apparently when you get older it seizes up more and hurts less so hopefully not be too much of an issue when we hit 80!

MexicanSpringtime Sun 02-Nov-14 19:33:23

No two cases are the same, I know, but I was diagnosed with arthritis first in my third vertebrae and then in my wrists while still in my thirties, took aspirin a couple of times in each case and have never had any further problems.

So it isn't necessarily a big problem

OneSkinnyChip Mon 03-Nov-14 16:45:25

Another person with one sore big toe. It comes and goes but isn't painful enough to be gout. It does stop me exercising as much as I would like to sad

maddy68 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:55:12

I have it in both joints. It's really severe pain at times. Not a lot they can do. I've had steroid injections, insoles and corrective shoes. I'm only 46. Grrr

MummiUni Sun 09-Nov-14 22:05:34

A colleague told me about this exercise and it works brilliantly.

Hold your toe just below your toe nail with your thumb and index finger. Pulling lightly rotate it in small circles. I do about 5 circles in each direction.

It makes the pain disappear for 2/3 days before I need to do it agin. Magic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now