Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

newly diagnosed rectocele. feeling mortified.

(7 Posts)
mortifiedmum1 Thu 30-Oct-14 12:28:38

I had a rectocele diagnosed yesterday by my GP who thinks it is so big it will require surgery. I am a doctor ( a radiologist) myself and had suspected for a while that perhaps this was the case.
I delayed consulting my GP as I was embarrassed about being referred on to somebody that I may well know socially or work with day to day. The thought of being examined by one of the male surgeons who I work alongside in my hospital or by one of the male surgeons from the local specialist centre who I know socially because my husband works there is horrifying. Worse still is the idea of having to have a defaecating proctogram within a radiology department where I know many of the consultant staff since I run into them at the local private hospital. I fear also that my confidentiality may be compromised, even if unintentionally. I am concerned about being looked after by junior doctors who will then rotate through to my hospital and come and consult with me in my department.
I would like to know if anyone has had surgery without having to have a defaecating proctogram?
So wishing that I was just another anonymous patient right now and not a doctor, known within my region.

In tears writing this. Some support ladies please.

Thurlow Thu 30-Oct-14 12:30:15

You poor thing, that sucks flowers

Is there any possibility that you be referred to another hospital because of the issues involved?

ConstantAcceleration Thu 30-Oct-14 12:46:10

I would certainly enquire about a referral elsewhere, that sounds really rough on you.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 30-Oct-14 12:54:45

Surely you can be seen out of area? I know it's more hassle for you but that would be my choice in your situation.

I'm an rmn and we would never receive in patient care in the hospital we worked at.

I have a large rectocele so I do sympathise. It's not pleasant and getting past the embarrassment can be hard.

Hedgehogging Thu 30-Oct-14 12:55:13

You poor thing.

I'm a GP in Ireland so maybe not much help but I do know that consultants here have previously arranged referrals to other hospitals for colleagues who would be embarrassed to meet someone they know while having investigations done, so definitely look into that as PPs have said.

Also, I know that while working in hospital as a junior, the consultant would always have dealt directly with any inpatient colleagues while we waited elsewhere, so things can be done with a minimum of staff knowing what's going on.

Not sure about the proctogram but maybe you could get that done privately somewhere well away from where you work?

I'm sure the consultant will have dealt with colleagues before and might be able to offer discrete advice on all of this.

In the meantime, have some thanks. This can be sorted I'm sure x

Matildathecat Thu 30-Oct-14 12:57:44

I would add support to going elsewhere. Or could you be referred using your maiden name if you have one?

It's a tricky issue because as I'm sure you know you are likely to get better care if there is a professional connection yet it could be highly embarrassing. However remember that this is bread and butter stuff for these people and if they have an ounce of professionalism there would be no confidentiality issues or embarrassment.

Are there any female specialists you could be referred to? Hope you get it resolved with no more tears.

mortifiedmum1 Fri 31-Oct-14 06:17:08

Thankyou all.
Beginning to get my head round it a bit.
Am thinking that if I have to have a proctogram that I will pay to have it done privately out of region. That seems to me to be the most potentially humiliating experience to come!
I suppose I have to trust in the professionalism of the staff as one of you suggested.
Feeling more resigned today even though struggling to sleep going through the permutations and combinations of what might happen/where I could have different things done. I think I need to just try and be a patient for once.

I suspect I will have a laparoscopic ventral mesh rectopexy (not that I have been relentlessly researching this on line since seeing the GP....) - does anyone have experience of recovery time/ return to gym type exercise or even skiing after this procedure?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now