Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thoracic Surgery (Xiphoid Process Removal) - Can someone please say if this is normal?

(5 Posts)
mawinter Wed 29-Oct-14 18:35:12

I had my xiphoid process removed toward the end of last month. It was knocked loose from the sternum and bent outwards. Immediately following the surgery every time I would get up from laying down I would feel a pressure pulling feeling on my sternum, this feeling would eventually go away after a few minutes of sitting up. I was informed this was normal and probably felt it also a little bit more than others due to being big chested. A few days following the surgery my wound decided to start leaking and up until two weeks ago still was. During the time being treated for the leaking wound I also developed Bronchitis (YAY!) and have been suffering for the past two weeks now with it (on antibiotics since last week). About 3 weeks ago I started to feel like I was having muscle spasms at the center of my chest and also informed this too was normal, and probably exaggerated by the fact I also have Bronchitis. In the last week the muscles directly between my breasts feel more tight and the pressure pulling feeling feels more constant. Of course again I am told this is all a normal part of healing from such a surgery, but I am left thinking one usually feels better as more and more time goes on and I am certainly not.

mawinter Thu 30-Oct-14 17:51:10

Nobody has had any thoracic surgery in the chest area?

HopeClearwater Sat 01-Nov-14 20:47:41

Replying as you've had no responses thus far... I had thoracic surgery this year (video assisted thoracic surgery) and have had various aches and pains since, which I've been told are the muscles and nerves knitting back together (layman's terms I'm afraid but I'm not a medic).

mawinter Sun 02-Nov-14 17:52:32

Thanks for replying! I guess i will chalk it all up to being normal then. smile

tomprochelo Sun 27-Dec-15 22:29:25

Hi, there can you please tell me the longterm results of this surgery? It has been over a year now.. Not sure how this site works but if you could please PM me. I am considering this surgery and really want to hear how it worked for you? Really really appreciate any input you can give me.. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now