Talk

Advanced search

Thoracic Surgery (Xiphoid Process Removal) - Can someone please say if this is normal?

(13 Posts)
mawinter Wed 29-Oct-14 18:35:12

I had my xiphoid process removed toward the end of last month. It was knocked loose from the sternum and bent outwards. Immediately following the surgery every time I would get up from laying down I would feel a pressure pulling feeling on my sternum, this feeling would eventually go away after a few minutes of sitting up. I was informed this was normal and probably felt it also a little bit more than others due to being big chested. A few days following the surgery my wound decided to start leaking and up until two weeks ago still was. During the time being treated for the leaking wound I also developed Bronchitis (YAY!) and have been suffering for the past two weeks now with it (on antibiotics since last week). About 3 weeks ago I started to feel like I was having muscle spasms at the center of my chest and also informed this too was normal, and probably exaggerated by the fact I also have Bronchitis. In the last week the muscles directly between my breasts feel more tight and the pressure pulling feeling feels more constant. Of course again I am told this is all a normal part of healing from such a surgery, but I am left thinking one usually feels better as more and more time goes on and I am certainly not.

OP’s posts: |
mawinter Thu 30-Oct-14 17:51:10

Nobody has had any thoracic surgery in the chest area?

HopeClearwater Sat 01-Nov-14 20:47:41

Replying as you've had no responses thus far... I had thoracic surgery this year (video assisted thoracic surgery) and have had various aches and pains since, which I've been told are the muscles and nerves knitting back together (layman's terms I'm afraid but I'm not a medic).

mawinter Sun 02-Nov-14 17:52:32

Thanks for replying! I guess i will chalk it all up to being normal then. smile

tomprochelo Sun 27-Dec-15 22:29:25

Hi, there can you please tell me the longterm results of this surgery? It has been over a year now.. Not sure how this site works but if you could please PM me. I am considering this surgery and really want to hear how it worked for you? Really really appreciate any input you can give me.. Thanks!

grannotmum Fri 14-Jun-19 17:31:02

Hello, I found the earlier thread on Xiphoid surgery. I am in awful pain from my xiphoid which is affecting breathing and movement I am desperately searching for a hospital that will perform this op. and have been for several years. PLEASE could the earlier poster or anyone else who knows let me know, no-one in my local hospital believes this condition exists, I've spent 4+ years going from one department to another and in increasing pain. Please can anyone help? Thank you.

Tullyg4 Tue 18-Jun-19 20:42:38

Hi grannotmum. I really feel for you my husband had been in severe pain had all tests and kept telling all hospital and Drs it wad his xiphoid and it needed removing they dismissed this he was hospitalised 10 x in 5 months put on morphine steroid injections literally housebound aggravated on movementcoukdnt work and more or less becoming addicted to morphine We had to fight and insist we were listened to and thankfully 1 brill consultant listened and fought our corner. My husband had his op 2 weeks ago and he is a different person. It got to the point where he was suicidal with the pain. Where do you live? Please just insist and plead and show them the facts that this is a condition that goes undiagnosed and although not life threatening threatens people's lives.
Good luck.

grannotmum Thu 20-Jun-19 15:27:02

Thank you so much! I have been told so many times that I was exaggerating or imagining this that I was almost ready to believe it myself. I live in SE London but could travel if I had to. Overjoyed to know that there may be relief out there. I have recently had a small legacy and would go private if I had to, though I only have a small pension. I have a severe allergy to morphine so I just have pain and inability to move much or wear clothes that touch my xiphoid area.

grannotmum Thu 20-Jun-19 15:32:04

Tullyg4, forgot to ask for details and consultant's name and to say thank you for your reply. Thank you again and again..

Quetta Wed 26-Feb-20 14:09:03

Grannotmum and Tullyg4 - have just seen your thread on getting painful xiphoid process removed on the NHS. I damaged mine in a rock climbing accident about 15 years ago. Result was that it sticks out permanently and wobbles about too. Had physio from time to time and one chap managed to get it back to normal position. What a relief to breathe properly again but short lived and it popped out again. Told number of different GPs about the discomfort but dismissed. I don't think it is a problem that they have any/much experience with. Now have hiatus hernia which is hugely exacerbating problem as adds pressure on already tender xiphoid process. Asked if op available on NHS and told no. Understand it is simple and low risk but cannot afford to go private. Can you let me have any post op follow on info and contact details of NHS surgeon who does do this op? Much appreciate a response as I am desperate to get it resolved and feel I can breathe again, quite apart from less pain. Thanks

grannotmum Thu 27-Feb-20 12:03:54

It's nice to know that I am not the only one and I am not going mad. After6 years of being sent to all departments of my local hospital and checked for just about everything, I am now more or less disabled. I have however-at last- got a consultant appointment at Guy's Hospital next Tuesday. More or less by confronting my GP with this thread and asking "Why not?" Whether I get surgery is another matter, but I will post the results. I am now unable to do anything involving movement of the xiphoid area and have several major muscles on my right abdominal wall that have completely atrophied presumably since my injury 6 years ago when all this started. I can afford a private op due to a legacy but the appointment with the consultant is NHS, so fingers crossed! I will definitely let you know.

Quetta Thu 27-Feb-20 15:08:17

Thank you for posting a reply to my question. Good luck for next Tuesday and would be very interested to hear how you got on. If XP removal op can be done on the NHS, probably worth my coming down from Scotland with referral from my GP.

Sox123 Sat 23-May-20 10:23:31

Quetta

Did you get anywhere regards referral for your Xyphoid Process.
I'm due to see my Throriac Surgeon and he says he can take mine out in August . I'm hoping it resolves my pain

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »