Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Been refused endometrial ablasion

(14 Posts)
Rainicorn Wed 29-Oct-14 11:15:54

And been told hysterectomy is a no go due to too high of a risk.

Only option is either a coil or some tablets to give me a period every 4 months.

Gutted as really unsure about coil and dont want to take tablets to bring on a period.

I have 4 weeks to think about it.

splodgeness Thu 30-Oct-14 17:36:04

What was the reason for refusing endometrial ablation?

vitaminC Thu 30-Oct-14 17:37:21

Yes, what is the reason? And why are you high risk for a hysterectomy?

Rainicorn Sun 02-Nov-14 17:23:35

Sorry, I was sitting sobbing alone in Costa when I typed that, nobody replied.

I have PCOS and high risk of endometrial cancer, and as I only have one long period a year the ablation would mask any symptoms should I develop cancer.

High risk for a hysterectomy because I have had three c sections so a lot of scar tissue and possibility of bladder fusion. Plus I'm a fat heifer and the consultant is reluctant.

I really do not want a coil the though of it sitting there makes me come over all funny.

vitaminC Mon 03-Nov-14 10:01:08

Are there any other local hormonal options available? Nuvaring, for example? Progesterone pessaries maybe?

Do you take anything at present for the PCOS? Metformin?

Have you tried a low-carb diet and regular exercise? Those are generally more effective at treating PCOS than just medicating and may help to regulate your cycles.

I'm not sure what you're looking for really, without knowing more of the background. What was the consultant appointment for originally?

Maybe you're not looking for advice really, but sympathy, in which case (((un-MNy hugs to you))) thanks

JubJubBirds Mon 03-Nov-14 10:08:48

Would a hysterectomy be an option if you lost weight?

What are the reasons for wanting treatment in the first place?

Rainicorn Mon 03-Nov-14 11:28:50

Losing weight would have a small possibility but because of the 3 csections it is still tentative due to scar tissue.

Pcos, have been in metformin but didn't help much with weight loss. I did low carb a few years ago and lost a lot of weight, as soon as I start eating carbs again they cling to me. And I am an emotional eater so ATM I am the size of a small country due to several things happening.

Reason for treatment is having one very heavy and long period every year. This years started in May and ended in September. It was horrible, flooding, clots, no sex, the lot. It is grim.

The coil won't guarantee it won't happen again either.

JubJubBirds Mon 03-Nov-14 14:06:45

I'm sorry you're having such a horrid time Rainicorn. thanks

hiddenhome Mon 03-Nov-14 15:33:17

We're they talking about a vaginal hysterectomy, or an open one?

HappyGoLuckyGirl Mon 03-Nov-14 15:35:26

Could you try the Depo injection?

I used to have horrendous periods/endometriosis. Since starting the depo I've had two days of spotting in about 6 months.

vitaminC Mon 03-Nov-14 17:23:56

With the low-carbing, it's meant to be a long-term change, so going back to how you used to eat will undo any improvements, I'm afraid! And perhaps ask about increasing the dose of metformin if it's not helping at your current dose.

Exercise really does seem to be the best source of improvement for PCOS, though. If there's any way you can start to fit in even a 20-minute brisk walk each day, then gradually build up from there, it should start to make a difference.

Beyond those lifestyle changes, I think I would probably be investing other hormonal options. Depo is a possibility, but not reversible if the side effects are unpleasant. Definitely look into nuvaring, hormonal implants etc and maybe find out more about the mirena coil before you write it off completely.

Have you considered/been offered a progesterone-only pill, or a natural progesterone treatment?

Who is responsible for your care at the moment? A GP or a gynecologist? I think it's maybe time to get a bit more pro-active and start requesting more info and alternatives...

Rainicorn Mon 03-Nov-14 17:45:54

Thanks JubJub.

It would be removal of the womb, ovaries and cervix remaining.

I don't want to use any form of contraceptive to remedy my periods as it isn't fixing the underlying problem. I have had all the children I want, ive been sterilised, so no need for me to have contraceptives.

Vit, I do know low carb has to be long term, lifestyle choice and I did well on it, would love to get back on it but atm my mental health Wouldnt cope with the first few weeks of it. Hate being a comfort eater. Have been trying to excercise, got myself a little regime going.

orangeflutie Mon 03-Nov-14 17:49:04

Hi Rainicorn I think it would be a good idea to get a second opinion re the ablation. It sounds like you're really suffering and it's affecting your quality of life. It's worth being persistent and pestering a bit so that someone will listen.

Really hope you can get some more advice.

orangeflutie Mon 03-Nov-14 17:50:30

Btw I sought a second opinion as I wasn't happy with first gynae.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now