Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feeling v.poorly for a week, flight on Friday. Suggestions please.

(10 Posts)
TSSpectreDNCOntheParanormal Wed 29-Oct-14 07:34:55

I have had a nasty cough for a week now. Dry and chesty. Persistent and seemingly resistant to cough meds.

I also have a sore throat, possibly related and definitely aggravated by The Cough.

I have bravely soldiered on, knowing that a virus is just that but:

It's a whole week now, I've done all the right things and it's not improving. In fact it's worsening.
I'm flying on Friday to the States.

What else can I do. Is there any point in going to the GP?

TSSpectreDNCOntheParanormal Wed 29-Oct-14 07:36:09

Also I'm prone to tonsillitis, although my glands are up there is no pus. Sorry TMI at breakfast.

MegGriffin Wed 29-Oct-14 07:49:29

I think I would go to doctors today just in case you need some medication. Worse case you get reassurance it's just a bad virus . if you do need antibiotics, you can start to get them in to your system. Hope you feel better soon.

Captainweasel Wed 29-Oct-14 07:52:07

Am just joking here, but don't cough on the plane. You may be thought of as having Ebola. And they'd ghr quarantine you.

I'd suggest drs, at least so they can give you something for the flight and potentially have something in work g to say it's not Ebola.

sandgrown Wed 29-Oct-14 07:54:48

Sounds like the virus that is circulating round here. It seems to ease after 2 or three days. For the cough try sipping glycerine in water. You can get glycerine from the pharmacy and it seems to work.

TSSpectreDNCOntheParanormal Wed 29-Oct-14 09:17:40

Thanks ladies. I've done glycerin, honey and the entire suite of Benylin. This is day 7. Now at point where I've coughed so much it's made me sick. You're not wrong when you say that's not going to go well on the plane. US customs won't be fun either. I have a doctors appt. I'm going to ask for a letter or something that I can present if asked.

Captainweasel Fri 31-Oct-14 06:55:03

Balls. I shouldn't have been smart with my Ebola comment. Now I have lurgy. Sore stabby throat and am a snot machine.

Hooray.

Hope you feel better and have a great trip.

If you can get done nasal spray for the plane.

scarevola Fri 31-Oct-14 06:57:07

How are you getting on, OP?

I hope you're well on the mend.

TSSpectreDNCOntheParanormal Sat 01-Nov-14 02:00:50

I'm writing from above Times Sq.

GP gave me anti-b as soon as he heard I was going through US customs.

I'm feeling all better, which is good as they were questioning everyone at JFK.

Thanks for thinking of me, feel better soon Captain xx

Captainweasel Sat 01-Nov-14 13:24:58

Glad to hear you got through ok! The last two days red Thai chicken soup has been my saviour. That and I moved into an office at work. Shut the door an just ploughed through.

Sun is shining now I have all the widows open and am vegging on the couch watching tv.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now