Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Some advice please about my granny

(6 Posts)
tooodlepip Tue 28-Oct-14 23:19:17

Hello

Please could I ask if anyone has any knowledge about this?

My granny had a major angina attack on Sunday night she has been in the hospital ever since. The Dr's ran all the usual tests and have said that she has many major arteries badly blocked. They said she would need a multiple heart bypass but isn't suitable for surgery.

They are sending her home I think to die? I don't know

They are giving her blood thinners she has diabetes, thrombosis and chest problems.

I'm so scared if they are sending her home to die how long roughly do you think she might have my Aunty is going to ask the Dr tomorrow but I'm sat here worrying anyway.

Thank you for even taking the time to read even I really appreciate it

JeanSeberg Wed 29-Oct-14 13:14:21

Hello tooodle. Very sorry to hear about your granny. I hope your aunty gets answers to all your questions tomorrow.

LadySybilLikesCake Wed 29-Oct-14 13:28:15

I don't think being unable to treat someone as it's too risky is the same as sending her home to die. They are giving her warfarin? (the usual blood thinner) which will help. They would have weighed up the risks and (probably) decided that it's safer for her if they treat her with this rather then to go down the angiography or bypass route, as this is more stressful for her. Angina is easily treated and isn't the same as a heart attack and people can survive decades with this. Your granny's doctor may know more though, this is just an educated guess.

tooodlepip Fri 31-Oct-14 14:01:01

I wanted to say thank you for replying I really appreciate it

LadySybilLikesCake Fri 31-Oct-14 14:21:38

How is she? smile

Thymeout Fri 31-Oct-14 18:27:25

My aunt lived for 12 years after a similar diagnosis, dying at 82. It's difficult to compare because she didn't have diabetes or chest problems, but her angina was well controlled with medication and a puffer for attacks.

It was only in the last 6 months that her quality of life deteriorated and even then she was baking her own bread till the last few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now