Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Referred chest pain

(7 Posts)
WalkingInMemphis Tue 28-Oct-14 12:31:13

For a couple of years now, on and off, I've suffered with pains in my chest.

It's sharp enough to make me jump at times. Worse first thing in the morning. It's pain at the top of my chest, just above both breasts and particularly my breast bone.

I'm pretty certain its nothing respiratory...it doesn't hurt to breathe, I'm not breathless, have no cough etc. It does hurt more when I make myself cough, or sneeze though.

It's worse when I twist my upper body around, or bend my chin down to touch my chest, or bring both my arms forwards in front of me. It feels muscular I suppose, but there is no pain at all when I press any area of my chest.

I've been to the GP (twice...different ones) but of course as soon as you mention 'chest pain' that hurts sharply when I cough, even when I explained it felt muscular, it was pulse tests and listening to my heart and lungs etc, which are all clear. They both looked a bit blank tbh and said it would probably clear up.

Google is no help...again chest pain brings up lots of different heart and lung problems or broken ribs etc. None of them relevant. I was wondering if it could be referred pain from somewhere, but as i'm not actually in pain anywhere else, how do you even begin in diagnosing it?
Any ideas?

hashtagwhatever Tue 28-Oct-14 13:07:38

How are your bowels?. I have had chest pain when constipated.

Thesimplethings Tue 28-Oct-14 13:12:01

Costrocondritus?

WalkingInMemphis Tue 28-Oct-14 13:58:39

My bowels are fine, no problems at all.

I have discovered Costrocondritus on google before, but I don't have any tenderness externally which suggests it's not that.

WalkingInMemphis Sun 09-Nov-14 02:33:29

Anyone else have any ideas?

Jbck Sun 09-Nov-14 02:49:36

I get chest and shoulder pain from acid reflux.

MiddletonPink Sun 09-Nov-14 10:33:33

Last year I chest pain for about 4 weeks. Sharp and sporadic. GP said that chest pain can be connected to the stomach.

Had lots of blood tests which showed nothing and the pain just went.

My pain was when I bent down ie to pick something up or tie laces etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now