Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Very heavy period Advice needed please

(41 Posts)
chillyourboots Sun 26-Oct-14 12:42:42

So iv had alot of problems over the last three months with my periods, being on for extended time. 40+ days. Iv been on various medications for the bleeding, some have worked, some haven't.

Iv got a internal scan booked in for Friday the 31st of October

I have recently come off of one, got told to stop taking it when the bleeding stops.

Today, the period is very heavy, got two night time pads on and changing every hour, my pee is just red and lots of blood down the toilet [Sorry]

I'm in alot of pain, unbearable, but have taken being taking paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Is it worth going to the hospital?
Will they do anything?

Many thanks

georgedawes Sun 26-Oct-14 12:45:45

I'd go to out of hours gp. Sounds horrible hope they can help.

chillyourboots Sun 26-Oct-14 12:54:49

Iv got an under active thyroid.

And I am already on Iron tablets because iv got low iron.

I feel sick, dizzy and weak sad

EllenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 26-Oct-14 14:35:31

Bumping for you OP and sending you our best thanks

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 26-Oct-14 14:38:18

My GP sent me to A&E (999 jobbie) when I had one of these. They checked my bloods and I should have ended up having a blood transfusion as I'd bled so much so it may be worth your while going to A&E.

I hope you're OK thanks

whatadrain Sun 26-Oct-14 15:05:23

See the out of hours and get some Tranexamic Acid to stop the bleeding. I get this sometimes, it's horrible. Hope you feel better soon!

whatadrain Sun 26-Oct-14 15:06:58

Ah just re-read the OP - you've already had medication. Maybe see the out of hours anyway to see if you need referring. Good luck!

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 26-Oct-14 15:09:00

That doesn't stop it, it just makes it thicker whatdrain.

I think you need to go to A&E, chilly. From what you've said here you sound as though you've had massive blood loss and they need to check you over. Weak and dizzy isn't good, especially if you're by yourself. You could end up passing out, so you really do need to get medical help.

EBearhug Sun 26-Oct-14 15:09:46

If it's making you feel sick, dizzy and weak, I think you should contact medical advice fairly urgently - Friday could be too far away, if you're bleeding heavily all that time, and if it were me, I'd rather it were qualified medics making the decision about whether I should wait that long, rather than myself.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 26-Oct-14 15:23:25

A & E certainly have their place but you would be better served by them if they were to subsequently put you on a gynae ward.

I would also now keep a daily pain and symptom diary to show a gynaecologist. This is not a problem within a GPs remit.

You should have a gyane referral as a matter of course. Fibroids and endometriosis can cause such problems to arise.

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 26-Oct-14 15:25:53

Sorry, Attila, but the OP is bleeding heavily and is at risk of going into shock. I don't think it's wise for her to not seek medical attention now for the bleeding, and sort out the reason later. The bleeding seems pretty urgent to me. Sounds like she's lost a lot of blood and could do with treating for this. It wouldn't be good if she passed out at home and is alone.

WienerDiva Sun 26-Oct-14 15:55:03

My goodness OP, you poor thing. You sound like me 4 years ago.

My GP told me to go to A&E and I was then taken to the obs and gynae ward.

You need to be seen, just to check your blood levels if nothing else. thanks

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 26-Oct-14 16:00:00

I agree that she does need to have medical attention now and be referred too onto a gynae ward. This is not the type of issue anyway that GPs should at all be messing with in ignorance.

TheFairyCaravan Sun 26-Oct-14 16:03:00

I'm with LadySybil off to A&E with you, my lovely. It sounds like you are past trying new medicines, you need decent care, probably a transfusion and a scan now, not Friday!

I had terrible problems with my periods about 5 years ago, especially after having my Mirena out, but I have a wonderful GP. She was checking me every 3 days, taking my bloods and as soon as they dropped she had me in hospital. I had a transfusion and was listed for an endometrial ablation which was one of the best things I have done.

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 26-Oct-14 16:08:49

Mine was rubbish (I've since changed) and didn't bother to tell me my blood count was 7.6. I saw a gyna 6 weeks later and she checked it again and it was 6.4. She called me at home and ordered me to go for a blood transfusion right away. GP's are not always on the ball.

Hope you're OK and getting some help, Chilly. I'm a little worried that you've not come back thanks

chillyourboots Mon 27-Oct-14 08:28:32

I rang 111, and spoke to a doctor last night, he told me there was nothing they could do and to wait for my scan on Friday.

I had a bad night of struggling to breath.
Breathing back to normal now

At work today as I don't get paid sick pay and can't afford to lose the money.

Still feel just as bad, dizzy, sick and in pain
sad sad

georgedawes Mon 27-Oct-14 09:35:03

Poor you. If you get any worse I would consider a and e. It's a long wait feeling as you do.

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 27-Oct-14 10:51:16

sad It's a long week between now and Friday, and they really need to check your haemoglobin levels. If you start to feel worse you really should go to A&E. In the mean time, incontinence pads hold more than sanpro. I know it's not an appealing thought, needs must and all that though.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 27-Oct-14 11:39:56

I would go to A & E now for treatment and hopefully from there they will admit you onto a gynae ward.

You should not be waiting until Friday in your circumstances.

EBearhug Mon 27-Oct-14 13:00:34

I agree with A&E - on-going sickness and dizziness does sound like you could be experiencing shock and might need treatment to get your blood levels up before Friday.

chillyourboots Mon 27-Oct-14 17:51:02

I spoke to my doctor on the phone and she said I was ok!

I don't feel ok thosad sad

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 27-Oct-14 17:58:36

How can it be determined you are ok on the basis of a phone call?. How did this person arrive at such a conclusion?. This is not acceptable.

Please go to hospital and seek medical attention there.

AgathaF Mon 27-Oct-14 18:01:06

If you are/were short of breath, then you are not ok. Your Dr should not be diagnosing you over the phone. Please go to A&E.

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 27-Oct-14 18:02:53

She should absolutely not be diagnosing you over the phone, she needs to check your bloods. PLEASE go to A&E. They can check them in 20 minutes and give you a transfusion if you need one.

hashtagwhatever Mon 27-Oct-14 18:09:04

A&E. If you are ok you have lost nothing.
Your not feeling ok though so go get yourself checked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now