Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chalazions - any experience?

(16 Posts)
ProudAS Fri 24-Oct-14 18:51:49

I've got a chalazion and I'm treating it with hot compresses. Has anyone had one burst and would you share the details????

Suddengeekgirl Fri 24-Oct-14 18:56:36

Watching with interest as dd (3yo) has one. GP said they can't do anything about it and it could hang around for 6 months! shock
She won't tolerate a warm flannel on it so we just have to wait for it to go, or dd will end up with a general anaesthetic to remove it! confused

hiddenhome Fri 24-Oct-14 21:55:38

Yes, I had one for a couple of years, but it went eventually.

Haggisfish Fri 24-Oct-14 22:02:17

I get lots. Have had one or two re absorb, usually just ignore them. Had one removed under la-came back within a year!

ProudAS Sat 25-Oct-14 12:56:34

Its not giving me any trouble and it's hardly noticeable so if it doesnt get worse that will do me. I'll be relieved if it goes though.

IShallCallYouSquishy Sat 25-Oct-14 12:59:27

DH had one for aaaaages. He ended up being referred to the hospital to have it removed. The procedure took minutes and he's not had it come back or another since.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 25-Oct-14 13:02:21

I had a small one for about 6 months which eventually came to a head a couple of weeks ago. A warm flannel and a pair of tweezers got it draining and it went the next day

Suddengeekgirl Fri 31-Oct-14 09:09:23

Can anyone help/ advise?

Dd (mentioned above) has one which we managed to get a warm flannel on before bed last night. This morning it now looks black in the middle instead of white/ puss. confused

We have an appointment at 4.10 with the dr.
Feeling rather anxious about it tho!

Halsall Fri 31-Oct-14 09:24:21

I had one on an upper eyelid last year, first time ever. It was quite unsightly, and I'd wake up in the morning with my eye so swollen it looked as though I'd been punched. Then the swelling would gradually diminish during the day, but it took ages (months) to settle down. Lots of watering and itchiness of the eyelid too. I wore dark glasses a lot grin

The actual chalazion I treated with the hot compress business. It never burst, just faded away bit by bit.

suddengeek, no advice to offer, but it's good that you're seeing the doc. I'm sure they'll be able to reassure you.

Suddengeekgirl Fri 31-Oct-14 09:43:49

Managed to get a slightly blurry pic -one of when it was diagnosed and 2 of black chazlion.

Suddengeekgirl Fri 31-Oct-14 19:11:27

The dr looked, and squeezed envy <boak> and said
"I don't think she needs to be in hospital but she definitely needs antibiotics" confused

It's infected and she has AB eye drops and medicine as another dr app for Monday morning. If it gets worse, bigger, more swollen, redder, bloodshot eye etc then she needs to go straight to A&E! shock

And all this could have been avoided if the walk in centre dr had looked properly when I said it looked bigger and redder and was worried about infection 6 days ago! angry

TheJourney22 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:10:13

Yep had 2!

Dr pin pricked it and squuuuuuuzed, Jesus the goo was something else!

Painless .... but had steroids & antibiotics after

Aberchips Tue 04-Nov-14 13:53:40

I had one on my upper eyelid over the summer. I did hot compresses (as hot as you can bear without burning) and it gradually went away. I can still feel a very tiny lump on my eyelid though about the size of a grain of cous cous.
The compresses were the key thing though.

Suddengeekgirl Tue 04-Nov-14 16:13:55

Thanks!

Dd has been on AB since Friday and it is less red/ black and not so swollen. Still looks awful though. sad
Dr is referring her to ophthalmology so sort of hoping they'll remove it.
She is very unlikely to tolerate compresses and tbh after te one time we got her to do it and then the bloody thing went black (infection coming out I guess) I'm not so keen. confused

Finish AB on Thursday I think, then watch it like a hawk to see if infection is gone/ not.

DoverBeach Tue 04-Nov-14 16:44:25

I had one and it took some time to go completely. I treated it with a special eye mask which you can heat in the microwave. The problem with a hot flannel is that it cools down too quickly and you can't really get it hot enough in the first place. It has to be hot enough and in contact with the eye long enough to melt the blockage so that it can drain away.

This is what I used: www.amazon.co.uk/THE-EYE-DOCTOR-6289334/dp/B00BQEWT0S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1415119326&sr=8-6&keywords=blepharitis+eye+mask

Suddengeekgirl Fri 07-Nov-14 08:19:03

So we finished the AB on Wednesday. It had lost the dark/ blackness and was looking smaller and red/ pink
This morning it's darker and puffier sad

Back to the dr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now