Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How concerned should I be? Blood in poo- TMI!

(7 Posts)
LazyMilk Wed 22-Oct-14 09:21:27

For the third morning in a row after a poo there's been blood on the toilet roll when I wipe and a few drops in the toilet.
There's nothing there when I wipe if I haven't been for a poo, iyswim, only when I've pooed.
I recall straining quite hard the other day, I'm wondering if I've just given myself piles?
I just called for a doctors appt but there was nothing with a female doctor, not even a phone call available so I bottled it sad
Should I be concerned? I'm mid 20s btw and generally otherwise healthy.

MiddletonPink Wed 22-Oct-14 09:30:39

It could be a fissure or piles so try not to worry.
You're doing the right thing getting it checked though.

MarthaCostello Wed 22-Oct-14 17:11:06

Likely to be from straining, either piles or a fissure as Middleton says. But please see the GP to check. I am very private about these things, but in the past few years, I have had to discuss similar issues with many male doctors. They will have seen and heard it all before, really. So please see a GP, even if you have to see a male one. Or ask for the earliest female GP appointment.

It might be handy to keep a note of when the bleeding occurs (dates/times) as I find my mind goes blank when I am asked anything like that in appointments. Especially when I'm flustered and embarrassed.

If they suspect piles, please ensure that they do an examination to confirm. It isn't fun, but it's important to know for certain.

All the best flowers

CalamityKate1 Wed 22-Oct-14 17:18:59

Is it bright red or dark?

splodgeness Thu 30-Oct-14 17:54:27

My dad had bladder cancer and they told him - blood in poo nothing to worry about, blood in wee get to the docs asap. So probably nothing major but keep an eye on it.

Thymeout Thu 30-Oct-14 18:46:07

Please don't ignore blood in poo. That's how they found my friend's colon cancer - the only symptom she had. (She's doing OK. The cancer was quite low down, she didn't need a colostomy, just has regular check-ups.)

I think it's v unlikely at your age, but you must go and have it checked out.

Kundry Thu 30-Oct-14 19:23:21

The overwhelming likelihood is piles. But you mustn't ignore it in case it's something else so you need to see your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now