Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Baby 10 weeks old, EBF, I am bleeding

(16 Posts)
MrsPixieMoo Sun 19-Oct-14 03:55:55

Just that really. I have a 10 week old DD, born after multiple miscarriages and an older DD. I exclusively BF my DD and tonight have had some brown bleeding when I wipe.

I have felt low, irritable and PMT-ish for a few days but put it down to sleep deprivation and my DH being away.

Is this a period or could it be abnormal bleeding? With my first DD I didn't get periods again until she was 9 months old, I BF her for 8 months.

Advice welcome!

UmmAbdillah Sun 19-Oct-14 04:15:43

Could just be a bit of spotting that doesn't develop/last (I had it a couple of times when ds was around that age - he is now 5.5months and I had a full period couple of weeks ago... Some people who are EBF do not bleed for over a year, everybody is different. I would see how next couple of days go to judge.

Footle Sun 19-Oct-14 05:30:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BiggerYellowTaxi Sun 19-Oct-14 06:08:15

I got my period just a few weeks after the lochia stopped after each DC. It's not even like mine were good sleepers confused

MrsPixieMoo Sun 19-Oct-14 06:26:35

Oh it does sound as if it could be a period. Does this mean I could get pregnant again?

Letthemtalk Sun 19-Oct-14 06:51:21

Yes, you'll need to sort out contraception

carrielou2007 Sun 19-Oct-14 08:56:51

EBF my three (every three hours I wish more like every minute of the day and night!) AF came back at 8, 6 and 6 weeks I felt robbed!!

RockinD Sun 19-Oct-14 11:28:18

And me, back after 4 weeks both times, so they put me on the mini pill ... and I bled solidly for three months, while still EBF. Happy days!

BeyondPreparedForHell Sun 19-Oct-14 13:37:59

Are you wanting to get pregnant? Because if not then obviously agree about contraception just in case. But if you are planning to, dont get your hopes up too much that you are ovulating yet, you could be having the bleed without releasing the eggs. Tis possible.

Periods came back at six weeks for me (month of pp bleeding, two week gap then my period showed up) after both pregnancies. Yet took til 9m pp for ds2 to get conceived. Then after ds2, went onto minipill which stopped my periods completely. Until nearly a year pp when i started to bleed constantly so switched to mirena. Nothing scientific, but coincidence how it was around the same time pp that i got pregnant with ds2 smile

MrsPixieMoo Sun 19-Oct-14 17:29:59

Thank you everyone. No more pregnancies planned. Because of my miscarriage risk, I would need to plan it and take medication, so I wanted to know re contraception. My GP said if I fed every 4 hours I wouldn't ovulate but I'm going to make another appt tomorrow as she seems to have it wrong.

GoAndDoSomeWork Mon 20-Oct-14 20:45:39

your GP is talking rubbish sorry

madwomanbackintheattic Tue 21-Oct-14 05:00:13

Gp talking shite.

littlejohnnydory Thu 23-Oct-14 23:26:53

This happened to me when dc3 was about 8 weeks old - I really thought it was a proper period but then nothing more and periods didn't come back until she was 16 months. I wouldn't rely on breastfeeding as contraception at the moment though just in case.

www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-sears-breastfeeding-as-birth-control

Iggi999 Sat 01-Nov-14 08:56:01

Have always thought brown blood meant older blood - could it be left over from the pregnancy? I was still bleeding 6 weeks after ds2, I realise you're a bit further on than that. I remember midwives in the hospital saying that the feeding could cause blood to come out (I'm figuring it causes some kind of contraction that releases blood, rather than actually making you bleed!) Hope things are ok now.

Theorientcalf Sat 01-Nov-14 09:19:51

Your GP is talking rubbish, breastfeeding is not a method of contraception. I can't believe some health professionals still spout this shite! (I'm a HCP).

Iggi999 Sat 01-Nov-14 11:23:45

Well you'd be mad to rely on it but I'm pretty sure if you don't have periods for 6 months and have no changes in your cervical fluid then you're not ovulating. I've only had periods return after the babies started on solids around 6 months and milk feeds reduced. Whether that would have worked as a contraceptive or not was a moot point for me as the baby was enough of a contraceptive smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now