Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I have anxiety and I'm worrying myself silly over ebola.

(13 Posts)
ItsSoooFluffy Fri 17-Oct-14 01:01:00

The title says it all really! I've been worrying about this for quite a number of months now and only recently have I started to become severely anxious over it as the fear mongering in the media has reached overdrive! I feel quite silly for posting but I'm hoping some level headed people will come along and help to reassure me that we aren't doomed, thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Suzannewithaplan Fri 17-Oct-14 01:40:03

ItsSoo, we aren't doomed but it is quite understandable that, if you have anxiety it would attach itself to something like this.
I have in the past had episodes of feeling anxious and it seemed as if the anxiety would attach itself to the 'lowest hanging fruit'.

I think what I'm trying to say is this, the fact that you feel anxious about ebola does not mean that there is really anything to worry about.

I do sympathise because I know how hard it can be to talk yourself out of feeling anxious.

Is it possible for you to avoid the relevant news coverage?

scousadelic Fri 17-Oct-14 01:49:02

I have done this for years and felt anxious about all sorts of things, epidemics, war, end of the world, etc

I am trying now to train my mind to realise that me worrying has no impact on whether any of those things happens or not. I don't think anyone can realistically assure you whether we are doomed or not but life is what it is and worrying does not change that

If something awful were to happen we would regret not enjoying the good times to the full. Agree with Suzanne, avoid what you can and focus on the positives in your life

ItsSoooFluffy Fri 17-Oct-14 01:53:07

Suzanne, thank you for your message. I've been trying to avoid the news but i feel like I have to check to see what's happening to help my fears? Although I understand it isn't really helping me whatsoever. I probably sound completely mad but it's all I can think about, I can't get it out of my head these past couple of weeks. sad

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Fri 17-Oct-14 17:08:41

Yes I have anxiety and am the same. My head is telling me to stop being ridiculous but my anxiety keeps kicking in about this and all the awful stuff happening with ISIS etc.

Suzannewithaplan Fri 17-Oct-14 17:19:55

Golden and Itsooo, I don't know if it helps to see the things that you're anxious about as triggers rather than causes, also can you cut down on the checking?

Surely the problem is anxiety rather than a disease risk, perhaps a separate thread in a different section where people could share techniques and strategies for avoiding things that trigger anxiety?

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Fri 17-Oct-14 19:13:38

Thing is Suzanne I have close family members who are frequent travellers to various parts of Africa (including my DH who has a business based in Africa and is supposed to be flying out soon). Going to Gatwick/Heathrow is like hopping on a bus for them.

GaryShitpeas Sat 18-Oct-14 09:39:30

Me too fluffy sad suffer from bad anxiety anyway

GilesGirl Sat 18-Oct-14 09:46:20

I also suffer from anxiety.

I don't worry about things like this, though if I think about them logically.

Are you a HCW?
Do you travel to any part of the African continent?
Have you been bathing in the blood of your victims? grin

If the answer to all of those are no, you'll be fine.

If the answer to any of those is yes, find out how to protect yourself.

Perhaps save the blood bathing for later, for example. wink

starburst1979 Sat 18-Oct-14 09:52:10

gilesgirl just read your post to my very scared 13yr old son and he's now giggling away!

The anxiety that this is causing is horrible, we have had sleepless night and symptom spotting for about 3 weeks. I feel like I've had to become an Ebola expert just to answer his questions.

GilesGirl Sat 18-Oct-14 09:53:34

Tell him I'm glad I could ease him a bit and make him giggle.grin

GaryShitpeas Sat 18-Oct-14 18:19:06

Aww starburst bless your poor soon, I remember there was a (much smaller) outbreak when I was about his age in the 90s, it terrified me (despite living in the uk) I didn't understand about transmission etc thought you could just randomly develop it blush

oldgent913 Wed 28-Jan-15 09:51:57

I suggest you join a monitoring site like Buzcall.com, take a look they cover every threat you can think of and will even send you an e-mail or text if you are in any danger.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: