Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mamorgram Recall, im in a panic!

(8 Posts)
VIVIKINS Mon 06-Oct-14 13:38:49

I'm 54 have no family history of breast cancer, my first Mammogram a few years ago was okay but just had my 2nd Mammogram 1 week ago, I received a letter Friday asking me to attend this Wednesday 8th October for another mammogram, an ultra sound, an x-ray and maybe a biopsy. I am bloody terrified they make it very clear on the letter that is doesn't mean I have cancer and 3 out of 4 people asked to re-attend wont have cancer.

I am so scared, I've tried not to think too hard but I can't stop thinking about it and am scared that it will be terminal and don't want to leave my family behind, I also have had a worry for years about having operations, I have a belief that if I have an operation I wont wake up to the point that a few years ago I had to have an operation on a finger the consultant did it with a Local Anaesthetic because of how I feel about operations, although I've not had the follow up appointment I am so worried that if I have BC I will die on the operating table if I had to have a mastectomy, so i'm just in a real panic prior to the appointment, which is making my heart beat faster.

Since the letter i'm getting pain in my arms, shoulders, under arm and breast that wasn't there before, my husband is very supportive and tries his best to reassure me that the pains are probably just me getting stressed about this but I can't help it and I keep checking to make sure i've not missed anything as I don't think I have any of the symptoms that they say such as Dimpling of the skin, a discharge from the nipple or a rash on a nipple or surrounding area, but I have to check daily to make sure nothing has changed

Am I just panicking unnecessarily ?

AMumInScotland Mon 06-Oct-14 13:48:42

OK, I know it's scary, but to try to take a deep breath and think it through.

They say themselves, 3 out of 4 won't have cancer.

If you do happen to be the one in 4 who does, they have found it quickly. You have no symptoms (what you're currently feeling is panic, not symptoms of breast cancer). So - if there is a lump there, it is probably very very small.

If it is, they can talk you through the treatment, and about how they can help you with your anxiety.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be 100% well again after treatment, if you do turn out to be unlucky and for it not to just be a problem with their pitcures, or a little cyst or other totally benign thing.

So, yes, you're panicking unnecessarily.

But I sympathise. I doubt I'd be calm about if it was me, even though my Mum is now 10 years on from a similar result and totally 100% fine after a small operation and some chemo.

malteserzz Mon 06-Oct-14 16:20:54

Of course you're scared, anyone would be the same. However there's a very good chance that it's not cancer and even if it is it's been caught early. I was diagnosed last year at 41 and since then have met lots of people who have had treatment and are doing well. Let us know how you get on, you should get the results the same day.

VIVIKINS Mon 06-Oct-14 20:10:19

Thank you for all your advice, I will let you know what they say.

mrsrhodgilbert Tue 07-Oct-14 13:52:07

Just a quick word from someone who has also had a positive diagnosis. I found out in May and treatment started very quickly, by the third week of July it was all over and I went on holiday at the beginning of August. Yes it's terrifying and I wouldn't wish it on anybody and life will never be quite the same again. But, breast cancer is not all the same. I wish people realised that, it takes any different forms and there are many different treatments. Some will be over in a matter of weeks and some will take many months and be much more gruelling. I was so ignorant, I hope you don't need to find out about it and your tests prove negative, but many people now go on to live long healthy lives.

VIVIKINS Tue 04-Nov-14 15:46:06

Hi all sorry forgot to let you all know after the day of all the tests, another specific mammogram, breast examination and biopsy, they made an appointment for 7 days later for the result and was told that it was a benign cyst, it was a scary time but I was very thankful at the result and am now back to a 3 yearly mamogram recall.

DayLillie Tue 04-Nov-14 17:46:20

www.npc.co.uk/therapeutics/other/breast_cancer/resources/pda_breast_cancer.pdf

If you look at page 3 of this, it gives the figures for screening in a diagram form, so it is easier to understand.

It looks a lot less scary that way brew

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Wed 05-Nov-14 07:04:59

I have a very strong family risk of breast cancer and have had yearly mammograms since the age of 35. I've had a couple of recalls. The letter telling you to come back has to cover all possible options (ultrasound, biopsy etc). I think it also feels scary because of the speed, you're called back in within a week so it seems very urgent.

Luckily for me, on both occasions the ultrasound ruled out concerns so I didn't need to have a biopsy. I sobbed through the first ultrasound as my dc were very young and I was convinced, give my family history, that I had cancer. The consultant was lovely and very reassuring.

I really hope it all went ok, and that you're feeling less concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now